Today Tonight Tommorow (Monday 11th)

Robbo

For everyone in Victoria (and possibly other states) there will be a story on tomorrow's today tonight on seven at 6:30pm about student pilots who are not commented in English and are very hard to understand.

I have experienced this and its very very hard to understand there position reports, this is a must see for all pilots.

Guest OzChris

I will be interested to see this Robbo - I know here at YBLT where I fly from some of the calls are SHOCKING! When you ask for confirmation or for them to repeat their position, you are usually met with either silence or the same ramblings that is just incomprehensible! It is a big problem, thats for sure.

Royal Victorian Aero Club and General Flying Services are the worst for this !!!!

Sorry Dave :)

It's only because they have all the oversees trainee pilots.

Did you notice that Today Tonight translated the control towers dialogue "abeam" into "abang!!!" I heard "Mike Whiskey Juliet" quite alright even though Today Tonight didnt. I have heard many times qualified pilots(in UK and Oz) not understanding instructions from the tower and on other occasions getting the controllers hot under the collar with such things as dangerous taxiing and undecipherable radios which have not been fixed.

Anyway its good that this has been brought to our attention as I did not realise the problem was that bad.

Good too that it was the first item as I did not have to sit through their nightly fabricated news about prancing with the stars.(Not a fan of Today Tonight as you may have assumed).

Guest Darren Masters

Watched it here in Melbourne tonight. Nothing new. Have been hearing it for years while flying. Loved the addition of the 'freaky' music to create the atmosphere. CASA does not seem to think it is a problem. I beg to differ. The worry is that the CFI is incharge in determining if the student is proficient in English or not. Naturally they will deem someone proficient as it generates business. There needs to be some independant testing.

The worry is that the CFI is incharge in determining if the student is proficient in English or not. Naturally they will deem someone proficient as it generates business. There needs to be some independant testing.

100% agree with you on this Darren.. If it means money of course there goner pass them.

Yeah I know, Sat down ready to watch it and they said it was on tomorow night.

Interesting I watched it here in Brissie tonight - as scheduled.

I heard quite a bit of the transmissions that were supposedly unintelligible, must be all those hours spent listening to dodgy transmissions in NZ with all the Middle Eastern and Indian pilots from Nelson Aviation College, which have honed my senses.

Guest jllewellyn

Yeah, I too agree with this. It is one thing to be able to understand English and another to speak it fluently so that others can understand you.

Guest jllewellyn
Interesting I watched it here in Brissie tonight - as scheduled.

Yes, I thought it was up here too. The programming must be different between Brisbane and Hervey Bay.

Guest Michael Coates

It was on tonight on the Gold Coast... North of Brisbane seems to be a little behind (Sorry i couldnt let that one slip by)

I dont know what this has to do with anything but i have been told it is illegal to record ATC / plane communications, didnt seem to worry today tonight though....

Perhaps for our friends north of Brisvegas the program should be called today tonight, tomorrow night....

Guest jllewellyn
Perhaps for our friends north of Brisvegas the program should be called today tonight, tomorrow night....

LOL!!! Nice.

It struck me as a bit of a beat-up. I was quite taken by the shot of the little girl with the plane flying overhead (cue music from "Jaws").

I chuckled when I saw "abeam" being translated as "a bang". What did they think the overseas pilots had come here for?

There is a bit of a problem, tho'. I occasionally hear some folks who obviously don't have english as their first language, and they can be hard to understand- especially if they get away from standard phraseology. Most of the time they get by- but I don't fly much these days near crowded airports like Parafield and I guess it gets a bit testy there at times when crisp, clear communications are needed to keep them from banging into each other (maybe that's what they thought "a bang" was about?)

Coop

Guest OzChris

I think the program 'today tonight' is pretty lame to be honest. The journalist style is usually loaded with emotive language and is always biased to the way *they* want the story to unfold/be told. Rarely, if ever, does it contain facts, or at least versions of, from both sides - often quoting "they were unwilling to comment on this case", leaving the viewer with even further 'evidence' that they must be guilty then.

The story was a joke, and it did not even attempt to evaluate the actual story or the reasons why it exists. I also think that prejudice plays a very large role in all of this, whether people admit it or not (due to PC requirements in our culture), people are generally prejudice in one area or another - this type of topic is popular as it fuels that intolerance and prejudice.

I agree with Darren - install an independent body to assess the English skills (and training) to the overseas trainees. Allowing the CFI of a commercial business, that needs these students, to decide if they are efficiant at English is a JOKE and is CLEARLY not working. I have an idea, lets do away with DAMES - Might had well allow the CFI to assess the fitness and health of a pilot (possible sarcasm...lol).

Guest jllewellyn

I just watched the story, pretty scary when you think about it. Although I agree with you OzChris, the journalism is very bios. However I think that Today Tonight has a valid point, its one thing to be able to speak English and another to be able to understand it.