My First PPL Nav Flight

Well it finaly came:biggrin: and went :frown:my very first Nav, i was booked in today 14.7.09 at 1330 had about 2hrs to plan for my flight and i did had a few troubles with a few things but then worked them out in the end,

My instructor came in from a Flight and went over all my planning and no problems were found:smile: so went logged onto Naips and Filed a flight plan YBCG to YBCG Via YBNA,YLIS,YXKO(Kyogle) the flight with winds and all that was about 61min total 113NM round about SARTIME was entered in and then flight plan was submitted i then got my headset and went out to the Aircraft was going to be in a C172P rego BUA but due to it coming back much much later then it was ment to we decided to go in the C172R model rego RBB which is a 1999 model very NICE!!! so i was really happy about that did the pre-flight and all was good fuel was full to the caps and nothing was out of the ordinary:wink: so the time now was just passed 1615 about that and our planned time of departure was 1615 or 0630 UTC got airways clearence for ballina A035

Once i obtained clearence we had to get taxi clearence and to wait for a Seair Cessna to taxi in on Golf before i was allowed to taxi out after he passed i was cleared to taxi F holding point Rwy 32 cross Rwy 35 at Golf all was well and off we went into the Run up bay did out Run up and off we went to the holding point and oh no we got a Alt warning light come up but it then went was a weird few seconds but we then changed to Twr and took off with a Left hand turn after we were airborn

Got airborne passing i think was A015 we were told to contact BN APP on 123.5 we did and went on our way mmde it to A035 and trimmed it our nicely and did a CLEAROFS check and everything was handy dandy we saw YBNA in the distance and started to prepare for our right hand turn for lismore we arrived at YBNA right on time of 02 passed the hr and planned our Arrival for YLIS which is going to be time 13 should be a quick 11min flight we saw YLIS in the distance might i add this was after noon and the sun was in the best place it could possibily be so we were fighting the sun into lismore so my isntrucotor decided to get back so we diverted out course back to the Gold coast due to time etc etc so drew a straight line from YLIS to YBCG and came up with a heading and time this is not usually done till the more advanced navs when you divert so i diverted on my first nav and it went well and i arrived back at Time 36 as expected a nice decent from A550 which we climbed to from lismore and a night arrival into YBCG was great fun

so over all my first Nav was GREAT !! i enjyed it alot and there is much more to come lol sorry for the spelling my keyboard is wireless and runs on battery and its running out and when i type fast it missed some keys but yeah you get that i hope you had a good read and yeah ok thanks for reading

Ta Ta

Bye bYe

Mattie

Mattie,

Given the Alt warning light that you got at runup, did you take any precautions during the flight?

What would you have done if it had come on again, and stayed on, during the flight?

Coop

Well during the Run up all was good nothing showed up but once we got to the Holding point my instructor called Ready and he then glanced at ALT and he said o we got an Alt faluire and we told tower we wernt ready they were fine with that and it went but if it came back would just have to reset it.

Guest OzChris

Great report Mattie...I remember my first nav training flight, it was a nervouse experience, but so much learning took place!

Good onya Mattie.

Well during the Run up all was good nothing showed up but once we got to the Holding point my instructor called Ready and he then glanced at ALT and he said o we got an Alt faluire and we told tower we wernt ready they were fine with that and it went but if it came back would just have to reset it.

If it comes on and stays on in flight (and won't reset) it means your battery is no longer being charged and all your electrics will eventually cause the battery to go flat.

So, what would you do if it came on and stayed on? :-)

Coop

Well in that case depending on where we were in Flight we would divert to the nearest Airport which would have either been Tyalgra(spl) the grass strip near Byron bay, YBNA YLIS or YMUR(Murwillambar) and once we were on the ground call the flying school to come pic us up and the plane fixers maintance guys will come and fix it and fly her back so yeah i would in that case divert to the nerest .

Other then that i would not have a clue but i would turn any electrics off that is not needed to just save some battery i suppose

Well in that case depending on where we were in Flight we would divert to the nearest Airport which would have either been Tyalgra(spl) the grass strip near Byron bay, YBNA YLIS or YMUR(Murwillambar) and once we were on the ground call the flying school to come pic us up and the plane fixers maintance guys will come and fix it and fly her back so yeah i would in that case divert to the nerest .Other then that i would not have a clue but i would turn any electrics off that is not needed to just save some battery i suppose

Spot on, Mattie. Get it on the ground asap and reduce electrical load to save the battery until you've landed.

Now, what would you turn off? Obviously some things are more important than others, so what would your order of priority be?

This is a "desktop exercise", and it can be a way of continuing your training while waiting for your next flight. Hopefully, you won't have to face anything like this, but if you ever do, having gone through a "what if" exercise can help in your decision making if it ever does happen.

So, if you had a reasonable distance to go to a suitable landing ground, what would you switch off to save the battery?

Coop

Well depending on when this happens if so during day you can turn off the lights that are needed also you can turn off comms again depending i have been told if in controlled you tell them the situation and call them using phone, umm a big user of power is the Transponder so if in a uncontrolled area you could turn that off as well so in order it can be Lights, wait if you have any other electrical equiptment in the aircraft like Nav, GPS etc it can be switched off so it can be lights,other electrical equp umm comms and Transponder hmm yeah lol i think i would do that.

Yep, that's pretty much what I would done- obviously depends upon the situation. For example, if you have electrically operated flaps then you might want to save as much battery as possible for the landing- while flaps are not essential, it does make the landing slower and safer. Certainly get rid of the lights- they'll flatten the battery very quickly and are not essential. Yep- the transponder is one of the bigger power users, so after notifying ATC (if in CTA) then turn that off too. And the radio can go too. If you are in G airspace and coming in to an airfield that has RPT you might want to turn the transponder back on when about 15 miles out- if you are going to encounter an RPT its likely to happen within that sort of radius, and their TCAS can then pick you up if you happen to cross their path. You could turn the radio back on then too- it doesn't draw that much when recieving and you could keep your tranmissions brief. The instruments don't draw much- nor does the GPS, you might want to keep the GPS running to back up your nav to the diversion airfield, especially if you are not familiar with it.

Most aircraft will fly on quite happily with the Master switch off (I'm not sure about some of the modern RAA-AUS machines with CDI ignition). I tried this once- accidentally- in a Cherokee six. Thought I was turning off the fuel pump, but turned off the Master instead. My mate was sitting there wondering why all the fuel gauges were reading "empty"!! Most embarassing- but a useful learning experience.

Looking forward to your next trip report.

Regards

Coop