AYA Northern Safari

Guest aviatrix27

Guest aviatrix27

Wednesday 9th September 2009

Car packed, off to Yarrawonga to pack the plane, then stay at Central Motel. A good start, got the same room we had when we stayed there for the last Safari.

Thursday 10th September 2009

Quite an early start by our standards, in the air by 10 am. Geoffrey flew first leg to Parkes, where we re-fuelled and Kaye took the next leg to Coonamble.

"The Dish", north of Parkes

Coonamble was just a lunch/stretch legs stop, then Geoffrey took over for the final leg in to Goondiwindi. Arrived shortly after 4.30 pm and were met by a friend who drove us to her property.

Our friends' hangar west of Goondiwindi

Our friend says there’s no Next G reception at their place, but where there’s a will there’s a relative, we had a booster aerial with us so were able to get a signal, albeit weak, and do what we needed in the way of internet.

Friday 11th September 2009

We were driven in to town and we had lunch with our host before departing YGDI for Caboolture. The flight was uneventful, and we arrived around 2.30 pm. We waited around for an hour or so until friends in another Grumman Cheetah arrived. They were deposited at their motel and we went to our hosts' place for the night. Eventually, we found how to get to nzom_pilot's place so pinched our hosts' car and went to pick nzom up so we could go out for dinner. Had dinner at a local club and watched the footy while we were there before adjourning to nzom’s place at ½ time. Went back home to our hosts' at about ¾ time, the result was a foregone conclusion and we knew we probably had an early start next day.

Saturday 12th September 2009

Sent a text to the pilot of the last remaining Grumman Cheetah expected to arrive at Caboolture to get an ETA, eventually got a reply saying around 12.30. At 11.30 we headed off for the airport to await their arrival and all move in to the motel.

After lunch at YCAB, we were ferried to the motel and all booked in, then back almost to the airport later for dinner. Typical of AYA events, we manage to find establishments that serve huge meals. Another couple who own a Grumman Tiger joined us and will also be joining us at Charleville.

Sunday 13th September 2009

Up bright and early, had the alarm set for 7 but woke up at 6.30. We were ferried to the airport via McDonalds for breakfast, and were ready to depart well before our actual departure time of 9am.

Our leader had lodged a flight plan for us to fly as a group from Caboolture coastal to Rockhampton. 3 Cheetahs and a Tiger (Grumman, not Moth) departed Caboolture. One of the Cheetahs avoided Maroochy airspace inland and joined up with us to the north for the rest of our trip. The Tiger pilot handled most of the radio for us and we chatted amongst ourselves on 123.45.

Our leader in his Tiger

After a beautiful scenic coastal flight, we arrived Rockhampton just after midday and all re-fuelled before tying our birds down for 2 nights.

Another local Grumman owner (has a Lynx for sale and has just purchased a Tiger) was at the airport to meet us and took Geoffrey and our leader to collect the rental car, a Tarago. With 8 POB and their luggage, it’s a squeeze, so our local man loaded up his ute with most of our luggage and took one of our group with him and guided us to our accommodation, then his local knowledge found a very nice pie shop for lunch.

All returned to our accommodation for a siesta, we are due at the local Grumman owner's place at 5.30 pm for dinner.

Monday 14th September 2009

No flying today, so the group decided to go for a drive to Yeppoon. One of our group was having an oil temperature problem, which turned out to be a faulty gauge, so while he was at the airport sorting that out, we asked him to retrieve our satchel of maps from SYF. Alas, there was no satchel. It seems we left it behind at the motel at Caboolture - the satchel was the same colour as the sofa we left it on. A few hasty phone calls, and the plan is that our maps will meet us at Shute Harbour. I did say plan, we still don't have them.

The rest of the trip was drawn onto newly purchased State maps, with the assistance of AirNav VFR on my laptop, we were able to draw in unimportant things like radio boundaries and LSALTs :biggrin:.

Tuesday 15th September 2009

Another day up far too early and at the airport in time for an 8 am departure, yet nobody else was ready to leave until 9. Fair dinkum, it’s like herding cats. A person could get sick of trying to find shade to stand around in.

We took off last, as number 4. The leader in the Tiger had once again filed a plan for 4 aircraft in company and made most calls for all 4 planes. We flew over Rocky township, then avoided a restricted area before hitting the coast again. We were the only ones to go to the coast and descend as soon as we were past the restricted area, so ended up in front of the group again, tail winds were better at 1500’. Going through Mackay’s control zone was also ‘interesting’ – we were the only ones to follow instructions to the letter and track via the two required waypoints and remain over water.

Coming in to Shute Harbour, despite slowing down, somehow we were # 2 behind our leader. We were well spaced on final, until he slowed down a lot more than us. This resulted in a particularly untidy landing by me, but the plane’s fine and so are we. Lesson # 5,987 – don’t follow our leader or fixate on what someone else is doing, just fly your own plane.

Shute Harbour airstrip - note the close hill on the right that you need to dodge around on final

Wednesday 16th September 2009

Today another couple joined us with their new baby. He's a little cutie at just 14 weeks.

We flew in to Hamilton Island for lunch – Kaye flew this leg, just to prove to herself she can still land an aeroplane. After lunch and a bus ride around the island, Geoffrey flew back via a scenic local flight around the islands.

Hamilton Island airstrip - that's better

Tonight we ordered pizza and ate in – couldn’t be bothered going out again.

Thursday 17th September 2009

Charters Towers today. We’re going direct while the rest of the group is tracking coastal via Townsville. While this should mean they arrive before us, since we have a 1.4 hour flight and they have just over 2 hours and took off an hour before us, but only one of them landed before us. Once again, we waited while they fluffed around and got fuel, which we didn’t need.

Charters is a wonderful town - everyone is so friendly and helpful. As soon as we tied SYF down, two men appeared and introduced themselves and offered to help us carry our luggage to the terminal. We thought they had something to do with Grummans, but no, they were just friendly.

There’s a local Grumman pilot here who owns a bus company. He sent his driver to collect us, drop us at our motel to book in, then drop us in town to get lunch. Then he came back 1.5 hours later to take us on a scenic local drive. Very informative. He dropped us back at our motel again, then delivered their smallest bus to us for our use.

Dinner tonight at the pub up the road, of course we will be walking, despite the fact that we have a bus to use :rolleyes:.

The local Grumman Tiger and bus company owner joined us for dinner – a very nice man.

There’s talk of another early start tomorrow :eek:.

Friday 18th September 2009

We got up at about 8, the others were already gone. Not to worry, when asked by the motel owners we said we would catch a cab, but they offered to drive us :biggrin:

We love Charters. Once again, we arrived at the airport and someone helped us to carry our luggage to SYF. Within 15 minutes, we had done our daily and were in the air. Kaye’s turn at the controls. The first 100 miles or so at 3,500’ under patchy cloud, then the remaining 130 miles at 4,500’. A little bumpy, but not too bad.

On arrival at Longreach, we re-fuelled and tied down and got our luggage to where we could be picked up. Kaye found our leader and decided to ignore the group for the afternoon because they were visiting the Qantas museum, which we’ve done at least 3 times before. We called the motel who thought the entire group was already here, but they picked us up a few minutes later.

View out the side window on finals at Longreach

Dinner was at some city people trap behind the stockmans hall of fame – quite edible but yuppy food with matching prices. We were joined by two more couples we had met on previous AYA trips. A very pleasant evening was had by all.

Saturday 19th September 2009

Yet again, the others decided they “had to” leave at the crack of dawn – we decided to wait until about 10 before taking off. We arrived at Charleville just before noon and were collected by one of the group who joined us just for our last night.

We stayed at the Corones hotel, you could spend $20 million on it and not notice the difference. We did the obligatory tour – just as well we were staying in the “new” motel rooms, I couldn’t have coped with the stairs, heat and musty smell of the main building.

Corones Hotel, Charleville

For dinner, a Thai restaurant was suggested, but we vetoed that quick smart. Don’t like Thai food. We ended up eating at the hotel.

Sunday 20th September 2009

The Sydney contingent were up with the sparrows and departed by 6 am. I got a text from them saying they had arrived Bankstown at 11.35.

We were taken to the airport at about 10 am, and arrived in time to see our leader in his Tiger taking off for Caboolture. The Melbourne based Cheetah had left an hour before us, and the other Tiger based at Caboolture was leaving after us.

First leg to Cunamulla, I flew, it was a bit bumpy. 6500’ wasn’t too bad, but getting there was a bit icky for me. Geoffrey flew from Cunamulla direct to Cobar, this leg at 7500’.

For the first time on this trip, our tent has been erected and we are camping. Finally having Chinese tonight too.

Monday 21st September 2009

We’re pretty good at bludging lifts off people and Cobar was no exception. A permanent resident of the caravan park loaded all of our luggage into her car and took us to the airport. We loaded SYF and called the fuel man, we were in the air by about 10.30. Kaye at the controls, 3,500’ was acceptable, and a very nice landing at Griffith. While on the ground at Griffith re-fuelling, we rang someone on the ground at Yarrawonga for an update on local weather. After hearing CAVOK, we climbed back into SYF and continued on, only another hour or so until we landed. Kaye drove back to Mansfield while Geoffrey flew, and by the time she arrived he had all of our luggage waiting to be loaded into the car.

Almost 25 hours of flying, about $1500 worth of avgas, about $1000 on accommodation, another $1000 or so on ground transport, food etc – no wonder we’re broke, but geez it’s a lot of fun.

THAT'S why we own aeroplanes!! Sounded like a terrific trip, Kaye, covered some territory we've been over once in Dorothy, and would love to visit again.

Nice to see the 707 lined up alongside the 747 at Longreach. It had only just arrived in Oz (and did its low pass at Longreach) when we were there.

Now, back to work to save up for the next jaunt, eh?

Regards

Coop

Guest Darren Masters

Hey Kaye, awesome trip report. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Sorry I missed you on the Sunday. Again, thanks for sharing and good that you are back home safe

• 2 months later...

Great report aviatrix, lotsa fun. I hope I can bring my foxy lady (FXR) for a run with you guys sometime next year. She is at Yarrawonga for cowl flap mods and preventive maintenance on a fuel tank, before it becomes a problem. I miss her...

Guest aviatrix27

Never Coop. The only time I've EVER needed to produce my ASIC was when I wanted the gate code at Merimbula a couple of years ago - I was there on a vintage car rally and had some AYA friends flying in to meet us.