Hi all

Matt Gilks

I'm Matt, I live in Narangba in QLD, not far from both Caboolture and Redcliffe airfields. I don't fly as yet, but hope to have an initial crack at the recreational pilot flight training this year (finances permitting).

I'm an aerospace engineer, in addition to a trade background as an AME, and my desire to fly is based mostly on the desire to design and build my own aircraft, and that it would be a bit silly to do that if I can't fly it! I'm currently working on the design of a two place aircraft of about 1100 lb AUW, however it is in the very preliminary stage at this time!

I hope to learn a bit more about flight training, regulations, construction, etc here, and if possible, contribute something along the way.

cheers

Matt

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Matt,

Welcome aboard.

I am sure that your background and knowledge input will be as valuable to us as ours may be to yourself.

I am 30 miles inland of you (but 60 by road :)) so if you ever feel the itch to take a drive in the country you are welcome to come in and chew the fat, perhaps go for a flight, or potter about in the workshop which is full of development projects at the moment.

I have been around for a while so can give you a reasonable perspective of the rec flying scenario.

Aye

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the welcome and the invite up to your part of the world.

I was hoping to get up to Watts Bridge for the QVAG fly in, but given the amount of rain in the area at the time I gave it a miss believing it would have been washed out. I will try to get out there this year, in between an impending move into a new house and finding another job!

I wouldn't mind having a look around the workshop if it's full of development projects!

cheers

Matt

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Matt,

The QVAG fly in really is a 'must-see'! The one before last we had an Avenger and Mustang here plus the usual big roll up of unusual types.

You missed nothing really at the last one, reduced turn up due to wx but they did manage to get seven Chipmunks into formation and that was nice to see.

My workshop is at home but I only live a mile from the airfield - I got that bit of organisation right.

My current projects are building two prototype Thrusters with a mass of reduced drag devices, flapperons, new trim systems, MTOW increase etc etc and that will be going on for most of the next 8 months I guess.

I then have a Glasshouse to totally rebuild from its components and put it at museum standard but entirely flyable. After that I intend re-building the T100 prototype that I have the few remaining parts of. So there is always something going on to look at.

Aye

Tony