After opinions of my website

gleff

Hi all,

Just after some of comments/opinions of my website i've been building. It's still a work in progress.

I'm currently working on adding more photos (waiting on permission from the photographers), and updating the database with more data, and tweaking bits of the site in general. Bare in mind that I'm not a professional web developer.. in fact everything i've done, i've been learning as I go so be kind ;)

Let me know what you think.

URL is in my sig.

G

PS. Since Sydney is currently in a curfew I'm displaying recorded data for tonight.. During the day it's live (and updated every 20 seconds).

Guest Michael Coates

Hey, this is kool... I am not into plane spotting but i found this interesting - Well done!

Do the plane "drop off" the page when they get below say 2,000 feet or something ?

They disappear from the map after about 1-2 minutes of not having a signal. Unfortunately my location isn't the greatest. I'm facing the opposite direction to the flight path and surrounded by office buildings. At the best of times the signal can be a bit flaky so aircraft come and go quickly.

It tracks any aircraft transmitting ADS-B around where I live in Chatswood assuming of course I can pick up the signal ;) It also filters out any aircraft with a lat and lon of 0.000000 etc.

My location sucks though. In the FAQ section I've put up my polar diagram which shows how bad it is. That's with a good antenna on my veranda. Although I usually use the indoor antenna which makes it worse. It's because i'm surrounded by office buildings and facing the opposite direction to the flight path. I think most of my signal comes from bounces off the buildings.

Guest Chainsaw

What box do you use mate? I've currently got a SBS-1 and use the usual Basestation and also Active Display software. I have setup my mag base antenna upside-down in the veranda gutter! ;)

I've got both the SBS-1 and the Radarbox. The SBS-1 is being used to feed the website. I've designed the parsing program to use the Radarbox database though so I can hot swap the databases between the website and the radarbox. Periodically I just copy the radarbox database to the laptop running the parsing program and I have updated data.

Guest Darren Masters

A darn good job Geoff! Nice to have that sort of map for a change after looking at my PP radar screens

Thanks.. I would have liked to have had a nicer looking aircraft icon but I needed a colour that stood out on all three map types. Eg. satelite, normal, and terrain. Hopefully a pink icon isn't too ugly.

Great work Geoff,

Keep it up. You've obviously got some serious skills for someone who isn't a pro. You might be able to find work with those sorts of skills? I reckon there might even be some potential commercial applications for this sort of thing. Good luck with it all.

If I can find more time in the day, I'd like to try doing something similar. I'm one of those poor sods who can't resist looking up every time a plane flies over and to be able to obtain the details if those flights like you have done would be a bonus.

This is great stuff. Good one. Now I'm gonna have to find more hours in the day!!!

Cheers,

Reggy