Volcanic Ash Results

john roe

YUK! Ugly! Any details of where/when/what John?

I heard a radio media person (an Aussie, unfortunately) this morning deal out an information gem that "piston engined planes are unaffected by the ash since they have air filters...).

Yeah, sure...

YUK! Ugly! Any details of where/when/what John?I heard a radio media person (an Aussie, unfortunately) this morning deal out an information gem that "piston engined planes are unaffected by the ash since they have air filters...).

Yeah, sure...

No I do not know where and when those pics were taken, they were sent to me of 15 pics of the damage to an Jet Engine, from a realiable person, and yes, some piston AC do have Air filters for the carburetta as they are a combustion Engine like a car, but Jet Prop turbine AC do not. this type of AC was used over the UK few weeks ago to check the air samples when the air corridors were closed, the posted pics have nothing to do with that recent Volcano that I know of.

No I do not know where and when those pics were taken, they were sent to me of 15 pics of the damage to an Jet Engine, from a realiable person, and yes, some piston AC do have Air filters for the carburetta as they are a combustion Engine like a car, but Jet Prop turbine AC do not. this type of AC was used over the UK few weeks ago to check the air samples when the air corridors were closed, the posted pics have nothing to do with that recent Volcano that I know of.

John, firstly ...

I'd be interested in your "reliable person" giving us the source of these images.

These do not immediately suggest to me what I have elsewhere seen posted of ash-induced damage to turbines.

and .. also, please:

Give me some examples of piston engined aircraft which DO run air filters on their carburettor/intake system. (please note that I am not suggesting that no piston engined a/c run filters - rather, as I believe, only a very small minority.)