farewelling the harrier

Guest scott fletcher

Guest scott fletcher

Shortly after 9am yesterday a Harrier jump jet - the iconic fighter plane that was instrumental in Britain winning the Falklands War - took off from the aircraft carrier for the last time.

Both the Ark Royal and the Harrier GR9s are being scrapped under cost-cutting defence plans.

So it marked the end of an era when a formation of four jets soared from the ship's deck in the North Sea as part of their farewell flight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332861/Harrier-GR9-fighter-jet-takes-Ark-Royal-time.html

Guest David C

Sure is the end of an era ...The Harrier in all its forms has been a great aircraft and served the RAF and Royal Navy for many years . The GR9 , being the last version was a far cry from the early Harriers .

I must be getting old , for remember the "old " Ark Royal before this latest one that is being scrapped ... How time flies ..

Dave C

Guest scott fletcher

yep a big shame .

i can allso remember that when K Beasley was defence minister very early 80s

britain had agreed to sell us HMS invincable and her harriers , then those damn argies

invaded the falklands and we didnt get her .

• 1 month later...

Yes, I seem to remember reading about that recently, Scott. Seems a bit funny to have carriers with no planes, a bit like having a stubbie with no beer in it. Saw a Harrier on ebay last week, has since been removed, about 110,000, not sure whether AUD or GBP. Would go well in the pool room if you could afford the postage.

I don't remember that proposed deal to buy the carrier, probably missed that one. I've always wondered whether we would have a use for a carrier seeing how we've got one big airstrip called Australia. Having said that, it's not the same as a US carrier battle group, more in line with the US Marine Harrier/troopships designed on a smaller scale for more individual operations. Maybe we could utilize one on the same scale & role as the Marines, as a mobile marine or commando force with it's own self contained air support.

God knows, we've thrown a lot of money into far less worthy projects over the years. Something like that would be very handy on a regional basis if we could we could convince Uncle Sam to let us keep it in our own backyard. Things like the East Timor intervention would be a good example of it's uses. Just a few thoughts, it's sad to see another icon bite the dust. I don't think I have a dinosaur like attachment to Harriers, F111's & Caribou's, it's just that we're seeing lately the dropping of unique, specific role aircraft well before there is any type of replacement even on the drawing board. Most times it doesn't seem to be the military wanting to retire them, just those other people.

There's really nothing wrong with the airframes that can't be rebuilt for a reasonable price, the rest of the stuff is just lipstick & can be fitted as necessary. They're talking about the Hercules flying for decades yet, which is a good example, it'll last out 2&1/2 to 3 generations of people by the time it retires. I can't figure it out, if it's not broken, why try to fix it. But maybe it's the beancounters, countries have finite defense budgets & a lot of competition for the spoils. I don't know what their thinking is.

Regards,

Willedoo.