New Tower at Melbourne International Airport?

Hello everyone. I was out at Melbourne International Airport today and spotted a new building being built next to the current control tower which got me thinking. With the International Terminal being upgraded and Rwy 09/27 currently being resurfaced, is this a new control tower being built?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes. The current one has concrete cancer.

That's interesting. Have concrete or building standards been slipping? I recall many concrete structures from my youth (water towers 5 stories high, etc.) that are still there, as good as the day they were finished. I was amazed a few years back when they had to build a new bridge over the Murray at Blanchetown in SA (this was a major construction- two lanes about 50-100' in the air) because the original one had concrete cancer.

Are builders or contractors trying to cut costs a little too much?

Coop

Have concrete or building standards been slipping? Are builders or contractors trying to cut costs a little too much?Coop

Yes standards have dropped, and I think its to cut costs, and thanks to that I will continue to get lots of work at MEL, as they continue to go for the cheap builders who under cut everyone else, ie; John Holland, thats why we have a 4w4 track called Victor taxiway at MEL. Thankfully Air Services didn't choose John Holland to build the new tower. :biggrin: