Virgin Australia - Day 1

Guest Chainsaw

Guest Chainsaw

Both planes will be holding over Katoomba!! That's different. Looks like landing very close together.

Guest David C

Great shots Chainy .. Pity they didn't overfly my place .. Typical really , lovely clear blue sky , loads of viz but no planes !! .. I could have got a few shots ... ah well , never mind , next time hey ...

Lovely chat today .. Speak again soon .

Dave C

Guest Chainsaw

Thanks Dave, nice to chat with you too :)

It was fab to get a bit of excitement out this way too.

I note that on other forums, most people are bagging the new livery. After thinking about it, I actually think it's subtle but great. Just remember it's not just about how the plane looks, but an integrated marketing plan.

Yes, I will miss seeing red planes, but I think in the longer term, this is the right scheme for the 'brand'.

Guest David C

I think you are right Chainy re the "brand " ... We have Virgin Atlantic , Virgin America, Virgin Nigeria and now Virgin Australia , seems logical to me to continue in that vein after all ... In Britain , there is a bridal shop chain named Virgin Brides !!! ... Yes I know that's could be construed as an oxymoron , but it's true .... Good old Branson hey ..he has his fingers in all sorts of pies ..

Guest Darren Masters

Fingers in pies eh Dave? Ts ts ts! Chainy, absolutely brilliantly captured! Right place at the right time

I was up close with VH-XFB today while it hid in MEL and agree that the new design looks good, it's been named "Cable Beach". Nice photo's Chainy. And yes I agree as well about the "brand" being all the same is a good thing.

In my opinion and it's only my opinion I don't really like the new Livery. Seems too plain, just white with a red Virgin on the tail. I would have liked some colour on it but hey the insides are what makes the money. Can't wait to see it in person.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a very plain livery. I have seen it in person though, and it does not look too bad in the right light when the silver highlights come out. The first two are Cable and Bondi Beach, which means we can kiss goodbye to the clever names. I am making sure I catalouge the old names so people can see what aircraft used to be named (I cannot see them sticking with the current names on the birds when they repaint them). I would like to see at the rear a sweep of purple, which is the base for the red and silver Virgin. It would give it a more distinctive colour, and make it stand out from the crowd (Qantas).

VH - XFA is called Cottesloe Beach... I see a beach theme starting, and Yes it will be sad to see the clever names go.

From what I have been told all the Aircraft in teh Virgin Australia fleet will be named after Australian beaches. It's a pity as I prefer the classy names that currently adorn the Jets. The 1 thing that I like is they still kept the flying person under the cockpit.

I had a look at the new interior. What more can I say apart from WOW!!!!!!!!! It's so purple!