Plane Spotter Beginner!

ben170292

Hey, everyone!

i am just starting to log the registrations of aircraft i see (Not sure if i am going to start taking photos because i am in Melbourne, Australia and don't know of any good spots to take photos). so i was wondering if anyone logs the flights they see how do you do it? online? a program or excel? if you use excel how is it set up?

do you log just the aircraft or the flight number aswell?

also if you see an aircraft but cant read the Registration what do you do? can you search the flight and find out what aircraft was used? if you can do that how?

i hope i get some answers as i love planes and would like to see if i ever see the same plane again, on that note today i saw VH-VWU which i flew on in November 26 2010

Guest Darren Masters

Welcome to TAA mate. Ah, VWU is one of our Jetstar birds I recommend you purchase a program called Plane Plotter. Lots of us here are using it and it will automatically log your flights/information for you so you won't need to worry about writing them down. You can even set alerts for aircraft that you are interested in. If you don't want to do that http://www.planefinder.net is real-time live air traffic around Australia and the world. Ofcourse you can see this by those of us that feed this information into the net from our ADS-B decoders for everyone to see. It is a great hobby and I've been doing it ever since I can remember. If you get stuck with anything here, just ask and people will be more than willing to help you. Welcome

Guest Darren Masters
Thanks :)so if i use this planeplotter thing can i use it to log aircraft i have seen/photographed?

Depends on if you know the aircraft position/rego was definitely at your location at the time. Handy still as if you have a flight number you can check your logs against that for a rego