Breakfast On Straddie

Spin

[ATTACH=full]1059[/ATTACH]

Most SEQ based pilots will be aware of the monthly Straddie Breakfast, even if they haven't attended themselves. Held at Dunwich airfield, on North Stradbroke Island, they have become a must do and after several false starts, I managed to get out there today too.

Things were none too promising when I woke with mist shrouding my place in the hills behind the Gold Coast, however the decision was made to give it a go and my son and I travelled up to Archerfield, nervously watching clumps of low cloud overhead. We managed to find a clear path out over Moreton Bay and were soon circling around the northern tip of the island at Point Lookout, before approaching the strip from overhead Dunwich. The dull light wasn't conducive to brilliant photos, however I snapped a few, including one through the drizzle streaked windscreen on final.

Around 20 aircraft made it today, less than half the number for a good day, however that meant there was no shortage of breakfast fare for hungry aviators. All in all, well worth the trip out and our crew of 3 first timers are all determined to do it all again next time.

Info here; http://www.stradair.com/

[ATTACH=full]1058[/ATTACH]

Heading out over southern Moreton Bay

[ATTACH=full]1060[/ATTACH]

Dunwich with Peel Island and Cleveland in the background

[ATTACH=full]1061[/ATTACH]

Short final for 15

[ATTACH=full]1062[/ATTACH]

Some of the hungry throng

[ATTACH]18143[/ATTACH]

straddie010.jpg.dd27d196633e585f3c064e3f2459c7ad.jpg

[ATTACH=full]1069[/ATTACH]

A few of the visitors;

[ATTACH=full]1063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1064[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1065[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1066[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]1067[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18144[/ATTACH]

237188176_stradair11.jpg.a1a91003bb2ed385dbd1f948bc4fecaf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Darren Masters

Good stuff mate! :) Here's one for you coming in from AKL-BNE yesterday ZK-ZQF. Sorry, i-Phone pic again :rolleyes:

Very nice, wish we'd had yesterday's weather :)

As an aside, I'm constantly amazed at the photos iphones and their equivalent produce. I won't be trading in my SLR just yet, but by the same token I didn't have the SLR in my pocket when I stumbled on a Beech 18 lurking at Redcliffe yesterday.

Guest Darren Masters

Here is some more from yesterday mate. ZK-ZQG this time. I did not want to leave! Weather was spectacular! Anyway, I think that strip where you landed is quite visible in a few of these shots?

Guest Chris Spencer-Scarr

Hey Spin.

What day of the month is the monthly breakfast. I need to not miss the next one.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Traditionally the 3rd Saturday of the month, not sure how that plays out in April with Easter and all that kerfuffle - it normally features in the various event calendars eg www.aeroclub.com.au but I haven't seen anything for this month so far.

Cheers Carl