How Do I Read The Avation Forcast?

paradox

Hey,

I live in Melbourne and I'm hoping to observe the transit of Venus across the sun that is happening next Tuesday. Unfortunately the weather has been dreadful for the past few weeks - overcast, with only occasional breaks in the clouds, and there is no reason to imagine that it will change any time soon.

I've been thinking that perhaps on Tuesday I should go up a mountain to try and get above the clouds - but I'm not sure how high the clouds are. I figured that the aviation forecasts would have this information, and a bit of quick googling brought me to: http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/forecasts/ttf/ which says:

MELBOURNE (YMML)

TTF SPECI YMML 300013Z 23005KT 3000 BR FEW001 OVC003 12/11 Q1036

RMK RF00.0/000.0

FM0013 28006KT 9000 -DZ HZ BKN005

FM0100 28007KT 9000 -DZ HZ BKN008

TEMPO 0013/0100 3000 -DZ BR BKN003

TEMPO 0100/0230 3000 -DZ BR BKN006

I think I may need a bit of professional help understanding that :-) What does it mean? Where is a good resource to find out how high the clouds will be on Tuesday, and where they will be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Luke

Guest aviatrix27

TTF Trend Forecast, valid for 3 hours from the time of observation. SPECI special report. YMML Tullamarine. 300013Z 30th at 0013 hrs zulu, which is 1013 hours here. 23005KT, the wind is 5 knots and direction 230 degrees. Visibility 3000 metres. Broken cloud few (up to 1/4 of sky) at base 100 feet, overcast at 300 feet, temp 12/11 degrees C, area QNH (air pressure - sort of) 1036. RMK - remark; RF = rainfall within past 10 miniutes/total since 0900 local time.

The next few lines are forecasts of wind, visibility, precipitation and cloud.

Unfortunately, the information given is the cloud BASE, not the top of clouds, which is what I think you would be looking for.

Hope I was helpful!

Indeed that was pretty helpful! So, two follow up questions:

Is there anywhere I can learn to read these forecasts myself so I can understand next Tuesdays forecast? Do they usually come with the cloud height as well as the base?

Also, is there anywhere I can find more detailed information on the clouds - particularly what height they will go up to? The top of Mount Bulla is

1,805m, so I'm hoping the cloud will be below that!

Guest aviatrix27

I'm not sure if it's available on line or not but I guess you could try googling AIP GEN 3.5 - that's where I looked everything up. I've not seen cloud height, just base on forecasts.

I can see Mt Buller from my house, along with Mt Buffalo, Hotham, Feathertop etc, all winter we point out mountains to visitors and consistantly say "and in the cloud over there is Mt Buller" - it's regularly in cloud.

Astronomical Society of Victoria could be a source of information, or even ring the bureau of meteorology and ask them. Inbox me if you think you might like to try from my place.

Guest Michael Coates

Download the AEROWEATHER app, it turns all this 'code' into plain English forecasting ! Work for any airport in the world

I doubt you'll find anything in the aviation area that gives the altitude of the top of cloud , operationally it's not generally needed, the icing level and the gap between the cloud base and the ground are more of a concern to pilots

Cheers Mat

If you look online at CASA you can download the VFR flight guide, I think it will help with decoding the arfors.