Byron Kennedy 1983 Helicopter Crash

sdbeck

Does anyone know the ID / msn of the Bell Jet Ranger flown by famed producer Byron Kennedy

which he crashed in 1983. I tried the CASA site but its online records don't record the accident?

Thank you

Hi, yes thats the man.

However after further 'googling', I managed to answer my own question half an hour

after posting this thread!

If anyones interested it was a Bell 206B registered as VH-KMX. Although the crash

is listed as the Warragamba Dam, the CASA site lists it as Lake Burragorang which

is why I couldn't find it on their site.

I understand this chopper was used by Kennedy to shoot the aerial footage for Mad Max 2.

SBeck

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know the ID / msn of the Bell Jet Ranger flown by famed producer Byron Kennedywhich he crashed in 1983. I tried the CASA site but its online records don't record the accident?

Thank you

Byron's black (Black-on-black) Bell Jet Ranger helicopter was VH-KMX. I have photos somewhere . . . I could dig them up and scan them if you want.

Seems from the investigation that the pilot was solo and impacted the water whilst he was trying to climb.http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1983/aair/aair198301307.aspx

There were 2 people in the helicopter when it crashed. Byron Kennedy (pilot) and 15 year old Victor Evatt as passenger. Evatt was not harmed and tried to comfort Kennedy overnight as they waited for search crews to find them.