P.g. Taylor

willedoo

Knowing very little of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith's history, and even less of that of Sir P.G. Taylor's, I came across the story of their last attempted trans-Tasman crossing in a book on Australian Aviators. Certainly an interesting way to do an oil change.

This is the story, as far as I can figure out.

On the 15th. of May, 1935, the Southern Cross departed Richmond for New Zealand with Taylor as navigator. Six hours into the trip, an exhaust pipe split, damaging the starboard prop. Kingsford Smith shut down the engine, gave the other two full throttle, and headed back to Australia, jettisoning as much weight as possible, including excess fuel and eventually having to dump the mail as well.

In the meantime, the port engine had burned more oil than normal due to the extra load placed on it and was on the point of seizing. John Stannage, the radio operator, came up with the idea to transfer oil from the shut down engine and was about to climb out with a thermos flask, when Taylor stopped him and took over the job. With a rope tied to his belt, he climbed out on the struts, filled the thermos with oil, then back inside and out to the port side to fill the other engine. He did this a total of six times.

This is Kingsford Smith dismounting the Southern Cross at Wheeler. It wouldn't have been very easy for Taylor to climb around out there while in flight, holding a thermos flask full of oil. Every trip became more slippery due to oil on his clothes and hands.

[ATTACH=full]1317[/ATTACH]

Filling the port engine presented another problem with the prop wash; Smith had to climb to gain altitude, then cut power to the engine while Taylor topped it up with oil. They say at times the wheels touched the ocean, picking up bits of seaweed.

The remaining two engines kept going, and 16 hours and 45 minutes after leaving Richmond, the Southern Cross limped into Mascot.

For his efforts, Patrick Gordon Taylor was awarded the Empire Gallantry Medal. This award was later revoked by Royal Warrant, and exchanged for the George Cross by all living recipients.

[ATTACH=full]1318[/ATTACH]

Smithy and P.G.Taylor.

[ATTACH=full]1319[/ATTACH]

Apparently Smithy had a bit of wing walking experience as well. Seen here doing stunt work for the movies in California.

[ATTACH=full]1320[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1321[/ATTACH]

Here's a link to an article on the Powerhouse Museum's collection of photographs of Sir P.G.Taylor and his Catalna, Frigate Bird ll.

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/insidethecollection/tag/p-g-taylor/

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18251[/ATTACH]

smith2.png.f59da86a79290923b3c1cd037d475189.png

For those interested,P.G.Taylor has written a book called "The Sky Beyond". He writes an excellent history of his aviation life. So much so,that the reader can imagine his exact thoughts and feelings. Being written by the man,there is the facts without the embellishment of rumour.

Wow! I knew of the Easter Island episode where Frigate Bird II had to be taxied around through stormy seas to a "sheltered" (a relative term only) side of the island, but not of the JATO misfire incident when taking off from Chile for the return journey. The Powerhouse site's a good one. Crikey, they were gutsy guys, no?

Interesting to learn too, of the Empire Gallantry award undergoing its conversion to the George Cross. End of Empire, and all that ('though there are still some in the old country who don't recognise the fact).;)

For those interested,P.G.Taylor has written a book called "The Sky Beyond". He writes an excellent history of his aviation life. So much so,that the reader can imagine his exact thoughts and feelings. Being written by the man,there is the facts without the embellishment of rumour.

Thanks AyeEss. I found a reference to the book last night & am trying to track down a copy. It sounds like a good one.

It never ceases to amaze, the bravery and capers the early aviators got up to.

Edit: Found this site with a few quotes from his 1935 book, 'Pacific Flight', from back in the Lady Southern Cross days. Sounds like another good story.

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/altair/pgtaylor.htm

This is the list of his books that they quote, I'd guess some would be a bit hard to find.

Pacific Flight (1935)

VH-UXX (1937)

Call to the Winds (1944)

Forgotten Island (1948)

Frigate Bird (1953)

The Sky Beyond (1963)

Bird of the Islands (1964)

Sopwith Scout 7309 (1968)

This seems to be the home page to that link above, with a fair bit of Lockheed info:

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/lock1.htm

Cheers, Willie.

Wow! I knew of the Easter Island episode where Frigate Bird II had to be taxied around through stormy seas to a "sheltered" (a relative term only) side of the island, but not of the JATO misfire incident when taking off from Chile for the return journey. The Powerhouse site's a good one. Crikey, they were gutsy guys, no?Interesting to learn too, of the Empire Gallantry award undergoing its conversion to the George Cross. End of Empire, and all that ('though there are still some in the old country who don't recognise the fact).;)

I like this quote from the museum curator when asked what is his favourite object in the collection:

" but I’d have to say, that the Boeing PB2B-2 Catalina “Frigate Bird II” is very dear to my heart because I like large round engined metal aeroplanes."

Cheers, Willie.

Talk about judging a book by its cover. The cover picture on the paperbook is a painting of the Catalina plowing through huge seas,throwing back spray from the props. In the background is a listing ship.....now I have a passion for aviation art,so naturally I bought the book ($2 secondhand).....I am not a reader,the print is small and there is no pictures,but,WOW I read it and it is now a treasured book. The only other book I couldn't put down was about anti gravity :)

Talk about judging a book by its cover. The cover picture on the paperbook is a painting of the Catalina plowing through huge seas,throwing back spray from the props. In the background is a listing ship.....now I have a passion for aviation art,so naturally I bought the book ($2 secondhand).....I am not a reader,the print is small and there is no pictures,but,WOW I read it and it is now a treasured book. The only other book I couldn't put down was about anti gravity :)

Seems like that was a bargain, AyeEss, I'd hang on to that one. I've been looking around a bit, and his books seem to be rare collectables. Copies of 'The Sky Beyond' seem to be selling for $150-$200 and more, if you can get them. I'd guess that would be first editions. There doesn't seem to be any modern re-prints out there. I tracked down a copy of 'Call to the Winds' last night for about $40; it's apparently the story of the last unsuccessful Tasman crossing in the opening post above. Looking forward to getting that and reading the story straight from the horse's mouth.

Cheers, Willie.

This I've found to be a worthwhile place to start searching for out of print, or hard to find books ... good luck.:)http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

Thanks,Geoff, I'll give them a try. The Book Depository in the UK usually has most books, but I noticed if they haven't got a title, they suggest AbeBooks as well. Must be some link between them.

Cheers, Willie.

I guess one could put a 'watch' on ebay for "The Sky Beyond". Also some libraries would still have it. If yours doesn't,just ask them for an Inter Library Loan.....they can trace a copy and get it sent to your local library.

The Sky Beyond

TAYLOR, GORDON

Bookseller: Lake Macquarie Secondhand Books

(Morisset, NSW, Australia)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 1

ISBN: 9780553239492

Price: US$ 14.95

Convert Currency

Shipping: US$ 7.25

Within Australia

Destination, Rates & Speeds

Book Description: Bantam, 1983. First Edition. Good , 12mo tanned some speckles of foxing. Bookseller Inventory # 17527

Bookseller & Payment Information | More Books from this Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Price: US$ 14.95

Convert Currency

Shipping: US$ 7.25

Within Australia

Thanks again Geoff, that's the sort of price that makes more sense. Some booksellers try it on a bit, I've seen the same book advertised for crazy prices. You'd have to be crazy to pay them. An example is this book advertised for almost a thousand US dollars; whishful thinking, a bit like the million dollar Chihuahua on ebay.

Cheers, Willie.