Laser Attack Ymml 24th Oct 2012

Guest Darren Masters

Guest Darren Masters

This occurred last night to B-LAD (CX163) while on approach to Melbourne (just over where the Boral Quarry is). I happened to be monitoring at the time as my ex was crewing JQ 214 (AKL-MEL) right behind the Cathay aircraft so it was a quick call to Airservices. I gave them the exact co-ordinates of where the 'culprit' probably was as the crew reported it. She was very appreciative as she (the controller) had similar co-ordinates and advised they were going to dispatch a police helicopter. Below is a pic of where the aircraft was situated:

Who says aircraft monitoring is bad? I run two live ADS-B feeds and an ACARS feed out of Auckland and I would be happy to pass my info on to the authorities should they require it. Now I just want to know what sort of kicks do these morons get out of doing this stuff? Do they for a minute stop to think of their actions and how they could potentially endanger 100's of lives on those aircraft? They really need to clamp down on this stuff!

Guest Darren Masters
Well Done Darren, it's becoming a bit of a norm at YMML these days - nights, there are more reports from pilots over the Epping area, the area you have is an industrial area, perfect place for Gooses at night.

Gun turrets on the aircraft mate? Muppets alright :mad: