Vh Registration Question

TAA rtfm

Hi guys,

I live in Brisbane's West End, and so the prospect of flying out of Archerfield is rather attractive. I have heard horror stories from just about everyone I've spoken to regarding who/what/when one can use Archerfield, and the advice I've received has ranged from "It's far too expensive", "You have to fly a certified aircraft", "Your engine has to be certified", "You can fly outside controlled times", "You have to have a PPL", "The airfield isn't controlled at the weekends".

So this morning, I called Laurie Prior the airport's Operations manager, who told me that so long as I have a PPL, and my aircraft has a VH registration I can use Archerfield. Simple as that. I have a PPL, and (if I understand the VH registration correctly), my plane will be registered under the Experimental category, so will be "VH registered". Is this correct?

Does anyone have any corroborating information or additional information in this regard? I have also heard that touch-and-go's are not regarded as full landings, and are not charged for. That's a bonus, if correct. And I suspect there will be space to hangar my plane somewhere, especially since the wings come off, and it is only about 15ft long.

Cheers,

Duncan

Guest Michael Coates

Hello Duncan, there are so many stories about controlled airspace it is really hard to get to the bottom of it, fortunately I have.

Provided you have a PPL with the required endorsements you are allowed into controlled airspace subject to operational requirements (eg don't expect to turn up at Brisbane airport at 7 AM on a Monday morning as an example) but anywhere else like Archerfield is no problem.

If you have a VH registered aircraft and it is equipped with the required equipment for operation in your airspace (e.g. a working radio and transponder) you have no problems, if you have an aircraft for example like a tiger moth which runs off a battery then you can get away with not having a transponder in some areas because the aircraft does not have a power supply sufficient to operate the required equipment.

With VH registration you can go in and out of controlled airspace in a certified aircraft or in an experimental aircraft provided it has completed the test flight program which can be upwards to 50 hours safe operation depending on the type.

Now to complicate things if you have an LSA aircraft or a factory built RAA aircraft that has the required equipment which includes radio, transponder, what they call "approved" engine which ridiculously can also be a 2 stroke AND you have a PPL with the required airspace endorsements then you can exercise your licence endorsements and fly a recreational aircraft into controlled airspace provided the things mentioned above are met. End of story.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Certainly clears things up. I believe this is the same as in NZ where I did my training and all my flying. Using Archerfield as my home field would make life a LOT easier than having to travel out to Redcliffe every time I wanted to go flying...

Cheers,

Duncan