Southbound Heavies

TimN

G'day from sunny northern Tasmania.

In last few weeks I have twice spotted 4 engine jets (presumably 747's) heading south over Launceston LTN. They were both at what appeared to be a cruising altitude, & could clearly see the 4 con-trails. The second one was definitely a Qantas aircraft as the paint scheme was clear (Red tail/white body).

I know there are no airfields in Tasmania that can handle a 747 so thought they may have been heading south to pick up an easterly or westerly jetstream en-route to either South Africa or South America after departing Melbourne. Can anyone shed any light?

Guest David C

They are almost certain to be Qantas 747's operating the QF63/4 on the SYD to JNB and return flight . Dependant on winds the flight usually tracks just to West of Melbourne and heads out SW almost down to the Northern edges of Antarctica and heads off towards South Africa .. It's a very isolated bit of airspace ..

Dave C

Guest Michael Coates

it's beyond my ability to comprehend but when going long distances like this the shortest distance is not a straight line. They fly the great circle routes, I know when coming out of Los Angeles back into Brisbane they fly what is basically a stretched out S shape so when leaving Los Angeles they head north of Hawaii, then turn south of Hawaii and head basically towards New Zealand and then turn back towards Australia again. Somebody here smarter than me can tell you about it I am sure.