aircraft incident camden

Guest Macnoz

Guest Fred Bear

Looks like the CFI Keith Ker survived and now at Nepean Hospital. Passenger deceased (also a pilot). They were training for the Parkes championships on the same time as our NATFLY. Aircraft rego was VH-NUK. Another sad day indeed.

They were training for the Parkes championships on the same time as our NATFLY

Bryscen was actually doing his BFR with Keith. Whilst he normally did compete in a number of Aerobatic Competitions (and has the trophies to prove it) he was actually flying to NZ tomorrow to attend Wananka.

Doug

Guest Fred Bear

No problem. Thanks for the info. The original info I got was 'from a source' who claimed it was directly from the company who owned this aircraft. So much for that being reliable.

I heard from an experienced person who attended the scene of the crash shortly after it happened that there WAS NOT a strong smell of fuel about the aircraft. Nor did the foam happy local firefighters cover the aircraft with foam. Draw your own conclusions.

Old Man Emu

Guest Fred Bear

Gee. That is serious. I seriously can't see those guys running out of fuel but... If there was not a strong smell it depends on the impact/how it was spread etc but yes, food for thought.

The fuel tank is located in the fuselage, above and forward of the front cockpit instrument panel. The photos of the plane that I have seen suggest that this area was not badly damaged.

The battery, which is housed behind the rear cockpit was ejected from the aircraft during impact, so I'm told.

I'm also told that BASI had to be pressured to attend and assist with the investigation. They were initially reluctant to come, so I'm told.

Old Man Emu

It all comes down to dollars. They don't seem to want to spend dollars investigating incidents with only one fatality in GA operations. Perhaps they are saving up for when a really big commercial flight goes in with fatalities on board and on the ground. You watch them defecate blue lights when that happens.

Old Man Emu

Guest brentc

Lots of interesting rumours here. The BASI terminology throws me given that BASI haven't been around for something like a decade so I wonder about that one given that ATSB investigate all GA incidents even when not fatal. If there was no fuel smell, perhaps the tank wasn't ruptured. There is a very limited amount of front-to-rear strength in a Pitts wing so for a couple of the wings to be in-tact the impact couldn't have been significant. The instructor was in the front seating position under the wing.

I also heard that about no smell of fuel (maybe the same source?) but he is also the one who said he'd heard that the 2nd pilot may not have made it.

I really wouldn't like to speculate about the cause of this one. I can think of lots of things that may have happened, but I really have no idea what did happen.

My only hope is that if it is something that could happen to others that preliminary information is released quickly. The Nationals are on this Easter, not to mention others flying Pitts regularly. The ATSB seem to take a very long time though.

Guest Fred Bear

Usually should be a preliminary within a month or so. Yes, will be interesting to see what they come up with. No smell of fuel does not mean that she was totally out of it. Perhaps engine failure, bit of a x-wind and smacked into the trees. Again, this is the whole speculation thing happening but I dare say being a Pitts with a fatality it will be investigated. Yes, BASI became ATSB several years ago. Sounds better, got a bit more funding and Bobs your uncle.

Darren if it was an engine failure, the Pitts glides like a brick. Maybe they were going for the road and hit a tree on the way down. Maybe they had jammed controls. Maybe anything.

Fortunately one of them is OK, and that is the best news. Hopefully he'll shed some light on it when he is able to do so.

People,

It was my brother in law that died so I have a little more information that I won't divulge as there is still an ongoing investigation but I can assure you it wasn't fuel starvation.

His body was also left in the a/c until the ATSB came up from Canberra about 7pm from memory and in speaking with the Senior Investigator and there was never any suggestion of them being "pressured" to attend.

You'll probably also note that the accident site was a "No Fly" zone in the Notams today.

Maybe we should leave the rumours to that other forum?

Doug

Guest Fred Bear
People,It was my brother in law that died so I have a little more information that I won't divulge as there is still an ongoing investigation but I can assure you it wasn't fuel starvation.

His body was also left in the a/c until the ATSB came up from Canberra about 7pm from memory and in speaking with the Senior Investigator and there was never any suggestion of them being "pressured" to attend.

You'll probably also note that the accident site was a "No Fly" zone in the Notams today.

Doug

Thanks for the info Doug and condolences to the family and to yourself. See how small our community is? These accidents affect us all in some way. Thought as much that two professional pilots flying together that fuel starvation would be out of the question. Also doubted there would have been any pressure for ATSB to attend. It would have been the norm under the circumstances. I don't want to discuss this here and clog this thread in your grief but I am determined any accident/incident serious of fatal in GA circumstances will be investigated by the ATSB. Again, condolences Doug.

Thanks for that Darren - I'm probably a little bit sensitive when it comes to speculation as he was originally described by the media as a "student pilot" irrespective of the fact that he held an aerobatic license for 15 years.

That said Ch7 were around my sister's place yesterday and were warm, kind and compassionate - not at all what I was expecting.

The resultant piece on the news was done very tastefully and full credit to them.

Doug

Guest pelorus32
People,It was my brother in law that died so I have a little more information that I won't divulge as there is still an ongoing investigation but I can assure you it wasn't fuel starvation.

Doug

G'day Doug,

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I have been through this recently when cousin of mine died in a mid-air. I find myself not wanting to speculate, just knowing that it's a very sad thing, in his case a very young life.

I hope that your sister comes through OK.

Regards

Mike

Doug,

Please accept and pass on my condolences to your sister and al your family.

Reading your post pulled me up and made me rememeber that tragedies like this hurt the relatives. I'm sorry if my gossiping caused you any pain. What I posted was second hand. I should only pass comment on what I know personally. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the results of the ATSB investigation to be made available to you.

Once again, my heartfelt apologies if I have caused you any further anguish.

Old Man Emu

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any publicly available information yet which may shed some light on the cause of this accident?

Just a week or so after this tragic accident it appears that a Pitts had an engine failure near Camden. I heard it landed safely thankfully.

• 1 month later...