Women Pilots Conference

bilby54

Roma has been honoured with the annual Austalian Women Pilots Association conference and will be attended by Nancy Bird Walton. For those who do not know, Nancy was Australia's first female commercial pilot and is a delightfull lady to go with it.

The conference is to be held from April 30 to May 3 and will include a navigation trial so please give them some encouragement if you hear them in the air. Drop in and have a yarn if you are in the area, I'm sure the girls won't mind.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Cheers,

Bilby

• 1 month later...

Last weekend was the AWPA annual conference held in Roma, Queensland and a great time was had by all of the people who were fortunate enough to attend.

The 'Flying Fossils' band provided the entertainment at the bowls club on Thursday night and a navigation trial was held on Friday with the only Cessna 120 on the register competing. The event was one by a west Australian crew that I was fortunate enough to have had dinner with at the bowls club the previous night. I would like to thank Sue, Robyn and pilot Wendy for all of the red wine and can assure all that it had no influence on my decisions as one of the judges!

The guest speakers for the formal dinner were Nancy Bird Walton who is the founder of Australian Women Pilot Association and just a delightfull lady, and Sam & Jenny Bailey.

For those of you who have never heard Sam Bailey speak then you are missing out on one of life's characters!

Sam Bailey is a C6/C7 quadriplegic who has defied the odds to become a farmer, pilot, inspirational speaker and best selling author. His next goal is to become the first quadriplegic in the world to fly a helicopter. To top that off, Sam and his wife Jenny will be taught by an ex Blackhawk pilot who lost both legs in an aircraft accident! The next time that you think that things are a bit tough, then have a go at this mob and the day will be a breeze!

If you ever have the chance to be invited to a function with this group of female pilots, then don't knock the opportunity back.:thumb_up:

Guest High Plains Drifter
Sam Bailey is a C6/C7 quadriplegic

bilby54, can you outline what degree of disability a C6/C7 is?

goal is to become the first quadriplegic in the world to fly a helicopter

It would be interesting to know a bit more about this goal.

Hi HPD,

A C6 C7 injury prevents any feeling or use below the high chest area with limited use of arms and hands. The injury causes great difficulty if any, of body temperature control and no bladder or bowel control. Sam broke his neck in a car accident many years ago but is one of the 'larger than life' people that we rarely get to meet.

Sam flew my Drifter in an Australian Story episode and regularly flies his Quicksilver MX, drives tractors and runs a property. Sam and Jenny are are just the best people that you could ever wish to meet.

For more info on the project visit www.sambailey.com.au