EGT Fitting

jordy

Hey Guys , I'm mounting a second EGT in a 503 and wondered if it matters if the probe is placed on the bottom of the ex pipes facing upwards or visa versa?? The second option gives me more room. Any ideas??

Currently I only have the single probe just past the junction of the individual pipes join into one.

Regards Jordy:help:

Hi Lads

EGT'probes can be mounted either top or bottom however the top was always preferred due to unburnt oil leaking from the bottom causing a mess on the motor and plane etc.

Distance is important where to mount the probes, I've looked on the web page on the above post and did not see any info! Probes HAVE TO BE mounted 100mm or 4 inches from the piston skirt for the Rotax. You can confirm this by contacting a Rotax service agent and correct me if I am wrong! I've done a heap of work on the 2 strokes and still remember most of the stuff.

Knighty

Hi all again,

I have read somewhere (wish I could find again) that an EGT probe mounted at the junction of the pipes will read quite a bit higher than the reading at the correct location. This is of great interest to me because I am getting very high readings from a probe in the junction while the plugs are a nice light brown. Makes you very nervous.

Phil

Hi Knighty,There is a table on page 3 (or about) which gives the distance from the manifold gasket surface that the probe should be mounted.

For the 503 it is 2 1/8 inch.

Phil

Yeh that makes rough sense to me! By the time you take into consideration the distance from the gasket to the piston skirt and add on the 2 1/8 inch you probably would have the 100mm or 4 inches.

Cheers

Knighty