new Remos G3/600 guy here

zebmeat

Hi all. Nice to be a member of the forum. Wonder if there are any other Remos people out there? Glad to hear about the new Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 oil for Rotax that will allow us to use both avgas and mogas!

zebmeat

I saw and fell in love with the NZ agents Remos back in September last year. Ordered one in October and commenced my training in his. Solo'd 7th November, then took a break mid December after 35 hours (15 solo) as the agent wanted his aircraft back 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Mine arrived at the end of February and yesterday, 10th April, I passed my flight test after 80 hours, all in a Remos (45 hours solo) In NZ you have to do 35 hours solo to get a passenger rating. I flew 45 hours in 6 weeks once my own Remos arrived

I love it

Where are you and how did you go about getting yours?

Congrats on getting your rating, and what a pretty bird! I'll post a pic of mine here soon. I am in north Georgia, USA and took delivery on my Remos March 11th. I have since put 25 hours on the plane, and am FINALLY able to grease my landings. The Remos just doesn't want to land! Especially with a headwind. I love the plane, but I must say that getting a "seat of the pants" feel for landing it nicely took some amount of practice. It truly is a LIGHT sport aircraft. I have a private pilot license, and have about 2000 hours in everything from an Aeronca Champ to a Piper Comanche (sold the Comanche last August). My wife and I took the doors off the other day, and what a wonderful flying experience that was! I have a question for you; do you notice occasional vibration in the stick, especially at higher power settings? I do notice this, and am wondering if it is anything to be concerned about. I would hate for a harmonic occillation to wear on the bushings in the removable horizontal stabilizer. This vibration is not particularly strong, only a slight shuddering in the stick. But, all in all, I love the Remos -- the visibility is fantastic, as is the low fuel burn. I use 100 LL, so I keep the RPM a bit high (around 5000 RPM) to keep the lead from accumulating in the valve seats. I also use a fuel additive that supposedly scavenges out some of the lead. Let's stay in touch, and please let me know if you have any experience with the stick vibration I mentioned above. Happy flying!!

Zebmeat in USA

Great stuff. I must try taking the doors off while there's still a bit of summer left.

I'm only using Mogas in mine although at some point i fully expect to have to top up with 100LL if i'm away touring. The new shell oil is reported to be able to deal with that better

i certainly haven't noticed any stick vibration in either of the two aircraft I have flown. sometimes the nose wheel continues spinning after takeoff on ashphalt which can be felt for a few seconds

There are photo's of ZK-PRH in my gallery

Great photo gallery! It would seem you followed the construction of your Remos from its beginnings at the factory in Germany. Mine was shipped to Arkansas, USA, reassembled there, then flown by my agent to my airport, 9A0, in Georgia. We flew 263RA around the pattern a few times, gained altitude, did slow flight/stalls, and then did my first landing --- blam! I really planted it on the runway the first time. My landings have gotten better and better I'm proud to say. My serial number is 221. I'm not sure if mine is the 221st Remos built or the exact significance of that number. Do you know the significance of the number, and if so, what is yours? Cheers!

Zebmeat

yeah, i did all the arranging direct with the factory although the agent here was great once it arrived. i probably pestered them quite a bit ;)

the numbers are the serial numbers in order of production. the agents was 155, yours is 221 and mine is 228. That means ours were built about 2 weeks apart and certainly shared the factory floor at some point. :thumb_up:

• 3 months later...

remos gx

Remos kept it very quiet, but the G3 is no longer. After 250 G3's, Remos retooled and is now producing the GX, with several improvements on the G3 design. Being a G3 owner only since March of '08, I wish I could have been informed of this change, but, knowing how business works, Remos had to divest itself of the remaining G3's. I hate knowing that the value of my airplane (though it is NOT for sale) has devalued significantly. I love the G3, but like the changes made in the GX.

Zebmeat

Don't be too worried. I got told about the new model by a remos test pilot that helped us get mine flying back in march and initially i was a bit like you, worried that my g-3 would be seen as last years model and disappointed i wasn't told earlier but that commercial reality

the all carbon wing was done to silence the people that didn't like celonite panels and they have improved the storage capacity (no pictures of that yet). There are some cosmetic changes with the landing light in the wing and changed tail structure. Also no intermediate wing strut.

personally i have no regrets.

the GX has a smaller, slimmer wing but the specifications show no increase in speed or loadings. All velocity figures are almost identical. The GX is heavier. The new landing gear (not shown yet in most pictures) isn't as pretty.

The main difference is that glide performance has been almost halved. Glide ratio for the g-3 is 17:1. For the GX it is 10:1. Climb performance has shrunk from 1300fpm to 1050fpm. Takeoff roll increased from 330ft to 510ft and distance to clear 50ft up from 660ft to 730ft. Those are all items that make the G-3 a BETTER and SAFER aircraft.

when i bought my remos the agent told me "i get sick of people asking how fast it is, how about asking how SAFE it is". ALL LSA's go the same speed, thats pretty much physics because they all have the same engine and all carry the same weight. what gave the Remos an edge was its safety performance and that has certainly been compromised for cosmetics.

time will tell if, as happens so often, the first models end up being the most desirable

Thanks for the reply. You've made me feel somewhat better as I was not aware of the degradation in performance specs on the GX. I do like the GX's extra storage in the baggage compartment behind the pilot's seat, however. I am attaching a pic of what I believe it to be. I am wondering if we might be able to retrofit or redesign the compartment on the G3 to allow extra storage. Also, my home airport is surrounded by hills and trees, and even after 47 hours in the G3 I must work hard (often forward slipping) to make steep descent, short field landings. I understand the GX has "slatted" or "slotted" flaps which increase drag and allow for steeper descents. I am therefore curious if we might replace our flaps with the GX type -- but with the shorter wing on the GX, the flaps are probably not compatible, i.e. shorter, than the flaps on the G3.

Zebmeat

Kofferraum3.jpg.8ad906d67967ae9cfe2a4d9e758186a8.jpg

That luggage compartment looks like it may retrofit. I've had mine out and there is scope for it to be extended backwards to accomodate longer items. Of course those that chose the bigger fuel tank never had the luggage compartment anyway, I beleive.

I get your point about getting the G-3 down. it certainly likes to fly and I've done some impressive dives on the limit of Vfe when I've arrived a bit high but i'd say a retrofit of the new flaps would not be possible. Presumably the whole wing would retrofit but thats a bit extreme.

I agree a complete wing retrofit would be extreme. And you're right, the Remos loves to fly -- I gave a flight instructor a ride and his landings were pretty horrible. He wants to go for another ride soon to "redeem" himself :) Lately I have been using 15 degrees of flaps and employing a fairly extreme slip on final to stay under Vfe. Seems to work pretty well, especially in crosswind situations. Still learning after 47 hours. If you'd like to see a short video of my landing with doors off at my home base, 9A0, go to Youtube and do a search for Remos G3 -- mine is the second one listed as "my first landing with doors off...." Watch the video in "high quality". It was a fun, though somewhat tense experience flying doors off, as you can tell from my expression at the end of the video. I thoroughly enjoy the experience now and fly doors off quite a lot as it is blazing hot summer here in southeast USA. Keep me posted if you decide to explore enlarging the baggage compartment -- I will do same.

Zebmeat