Headset Hygiene

Guest Ginger

Guest Ginger

No one has ever said anything but shouldn't there be replacable covers for the microphone.

I still use the FS headsets and just about need to eat the mike. I suppose every other student does also.

Doesn't seem too good to me. Besides buying my own personal headset what are we supposed to do?

Ginger

thumb_down

Guest pelorus32

Headsets should be treated like diving masks - you spit in each earcup and wipe it around before you wear the headset. This is in order to get a good seal on the earcups.

As far as I can determine the only downside of this is that after a while the headset smells a little.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Short answer - if you are going to fly for a while then buy yourself a good headset. It's not only the hygiene issues - it's also about protecting your hearing.

For a short story about hearing protection have a look at the reviews section and read the review on the David Clark H10.56 HXL headset.

Regards

Mike

You can buy replacement windsocks for the mics and use those along with removable cloth ear pad covers from most pilot shops... the Dave Clark ones are the go, and they are really cheap, and will fit most brands of headset - including the ones Ian has in the shop.

The advantage of the ear covers is really noticable in summer - your ears wont fill up with sweat... and in winter they take the cold edge off the ear pads..

Not only that, but the mic sock and the ear covers are washable.

Ben

Guest brentc
Headsets should be treated like diving masks - you spit in each earcup and wipe it around before you wear the headset. This is in order to get a good seal on the earcups.

Eeewwww 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif remind me not to go flying with you! I've never seen anyone do this ever in all my flying!

Guest pelorus32
Eeewwww 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif remind me not to go flying with you! I've never seen anyone do this ever in all my flying!

You didn't really believe me did you Brent?024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I love my headset.

Regards

Mike