Coolant Hose Wear

PaulN

Hi all,

I'm soon about to launch into some major repairs. Before doing so I have been fiddling with the engine checking all things very thoroughly so that at least the pointy end is in order.

One thing I discovered I'd like to share in the hope that it might save someone the trauma of sudden coolant loss while in flight. Our 912 ULS Rotax (ser num 4428278, factory date July 02) has done 483 hours.

The coolant hose on the port side runs from the expansion tank through the inlet manifold to the radiator. Where it passes through the manifold it has been rubbing through more than half the wall thickness. The hose on the starboard side running from the radiator to the pump runs through an intersection of struts on the engine mount frame and also rubbing through but not to the extent of the other side. Please take the time to check your own installation for wear. If nothing else, at least give thought to putting in place something to protect the hoses from wear.

Regards, Paul

20060811_120012_Hoses.jpg

20060811_120059_Port_1.jpg

20060811_120131_Port_2.jpg

20060811_120201_Starboard_1.jpg

20060811_120230_Starboard_2.jpg

Guest micgrace

Hi

Theres a black nylon mesh made that you could slip over the hoses.

I think from memory, Gates supplies it to cover radiator hoses, So Repco could help there.

This could be a vastly better solution than zip tying some insertion rubber around the hoses. And much lighter.

Just an idea. Micgracesmiley1.gif

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. Looking at the installation of the CT, it is obvious that it is becoming increasingly difficult to extract performance out of aircraft by trying to put a large object into a small space.

Running a hose through the inlet manifold is simply asking for wear and tear. Best check the EGT line too.

At least someone, either yourself or the factory has put heat shield material around the water hoses near the exhaust, though I wonder what temperature tie wraps are rated to.

:-)

It is another item of consideration (abrasion of parts) to be considered when doing out own maintenance.

Thanks for the post as it should give others something to think about and look for which they may previously not have done during their last period of maintenance.

Cheers

Chris