Seat Belts & Personal Safety

Hi All,

There has been some discussion about accident reporting on this forum lately. But I don't think all members know the position the RA-Aus is in here.

First ALL accidents are initially "owned" by ATSB. They have statutory authority. If for whatever reason they don't wish to investigate an accident they pass it over to the police. The RAA has absolutely NO authority over an accident. Now because the police don't have the knowledge of our sport or our aircraft, our qualified accident investigators become involved to help and assist the police. We have no form of authority. We investigate and write a report for the police which then goes to the Coroner. It is the Coroner who determines the cause of the accident. Until he releases his report we can say very little about an accident. Hence the time delay.

But we can talk in general terms. I would like to put up for discussion three issues here that have caused serious consequences.

1. Seat Belts. If you have car type seat belts and you become inverted you will NOT be able to release the buckle with a load on it (your body). If you don't believe me just try it. Clip up your belt, pull hard on it to simulate your weight and press the buckle. How many of you carry a knife or better still a seat belt cutter available from a car accessories store.

I am not advocating for more expensive buckles, just suggesting you carry a cutter.

2. Non flammable clothing. How many people here wear suitable clothing when flying, and this means long trousers and long sleeves. This clothing issue is really the difference between life and death.

3. Personal safety gear. How many people do you see that carry a small epirb/plb on their body. What about a small torch and a belt cutter and a small personal first aid kit. Cargo pants (buy cotton) are now common or military clothing with lots of pockets. These make great flying clothes where the pockets can hold your personal safety gear. Better still wear a non flammable flying suit, or fire proof overalls.

For those interested I wrote up a very sad accident on my SQ board rep blog last year that perhaps may have had a different outcome with some of the above taken into consideration.

http://ragandtubeaviator.blogspot.com/2007/09/accident-lessons.html

I was also quite impressed when HPD flew into my place recently to take me for a ride in his new R44. He climbed out of the chopper wearing a military style vest with all his safety gear on it. This is not posing. This is providing for your personal safety in the event of an accident, or un-planned outlanding. But anyway, I suppose I should not have been surprised as he is Drifter trained and a past Drifter owner. (If you haven't done Drifters you just haven't done it)

Being serious again please consider the above. This is one area where each of us can make a difference.

What are your comments and suggestions? question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Cheers

John

Well I didn't feel numb. I felt educated. :thumb_up: Made me think. 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif You got to love these forums. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

John - who knows how many lives your post could save? 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif Maybe even mine.

forever grateful.

regards

I wear a nomex flight suit when flying... but the looks I get on ground *what a complete 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif* can be a bit intimidating.

Still, after filming the aftermath of an autogyro crash for Nine News gave me a wakeup call. It was a sobering experience I tell you.

The nomex overalls arrived a week later, as did the gloves.

Ben