Intercom advice required

pbatters

I have an LSA 55/3J with an Icom A200 radio fitted. Currently I use the intercom which is integral to the radio. I find it very noisy in flight and have been advised to fit an alternative intercom. Can anyone advise me on a suitable replacement, I have 2 Dave Clark H10-13.4 headsets. Can the existing head set jack plug -ins be used? My preference would be for a panel mount without the need for 9v batteries.

cheers

Peter 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

If its any help I had a similar problem with my Icom radio and David Clarke headsets. Have just fitted an XCOM intercom to the panel and its seems to work fine. Had XCOM make up a new wiring harness as well. If you look at their website under FAQs you will find the wiring diagram to hook it up. I had a Sigtronics unit in my previous plane and it worked ok. I think the XCOM is superior many more features.

Cheers Glenn

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi Glenn,

I have used the A200 in 2 aircraft without an external intercom and found that they were very satisfactory. Your squelch may need adjusting,this is situated on top of the radio, out of the cradle.

Cheers

Nelson

Guest Nelson Smith

Sorry for breaking the thread Glenn BUT,

Vibrations Galore

Some weeks after returning from a flight to Birdsville, our Jabiru aircraft developed a severe vibration on the ground roll at about 50 knots (IAS). This was just prior to rotating. Landing seemed ok, off came the wheels and these were balanced. Although they were not far out of balance. Subsequent flights proved that the vibration was getting worse. To the extent that on landing and roll out at 40 to 50 kts (IAS) the vibration was severe.

A thorough check of the undercarriage revealed the l/h leg was slightly loose. Both legs were removed to inspect the mounting rubbers but these were found to be in good condition. So the legs were replaced and a wheel alignment followed.

Fast ground runs proved vibration was just the same. Bugger: Engine mount rubbers were removed and inspected and yes they needed replacing after 750 hrs. Well what now. It was at this point that Sandra (pilot of the Jab) mentioned the problem to one of our LAME’S at YLTV one Mr Gerrard Lappin. Without even thinking about it he suggested the problem was “bunching” or “scrunching of the tubes on landing. He explained that as the aircraft touches down and the wheels start to accelerate, the tubes may not pick up to the same speed as the tyre so the tube can bunch, particularly in smaller wheels.

Off with the wheels, out with the tubes and inspected same. No signs of bunching, but I am convinced this was the problem. Replaced tubes tyres and wheels and inflated them to 30 psi (they were at 24 psi) Then we went for a fast ground run. No more vibration Jexxx was I pleased. I suppose the moral behind this incident is to maintain tyre pressures.

Nelson Smith

Guest Mad Dave

I had a similar issue in a Jabiru when I was on a recent nav. We flew from YLIL to our first landing at Kyneton, after landing and back tracking for take off the plane wouldn't turn around at the end of the runway. The instructor then realised that one of the tyres was not only flat, but pretty much off the rim!

Apparently the tyre pressure is run a little low to "soak up" some of the bumps on the grass runways at Lilydale, but when landing on ashphalt the tyre "grips" and spins on the rim wrecking the tube.

Which resulted in a 3 hour wait for the spare wheel to be flown up! Mind you Kyneton is a great little airport, and the people we met there were all very friendly and helpful!!

Peter,

Cost $722.50 total.

Just make sure the intercom is in stock before paying. I was told would be on the way next day and waited a month and he had my money. Still works really well so am happy with it.

Regards Glenn