From Sportstar to Jabiru

Guest Vigilant

Guest Vigilant

Hello all,

I have recently returned from Queensland where I undertook my first steps into aviation in an Evektor Sportstar at Gympie. Now being back in Tassie the closest RAA flight school to me is Georgetown near Launceston. They have a Jabiru and have concerns about changing from left to right hand on stick, brake differences etc.

Would appreciate anyones input as I don't really want my flying to stall so to speak, Cheers.

Hi Stuart

It doesn't matter what you fly as long as you are flying. Flying different Aircraftis part of the challenge and gives you a greater sense of achievement. Often the different characteristics of type teaches you to fly by the numbers better becausenailing the numbersis the key to success. Don't worry about different Throttle and Stick positions,just understand what they do!So in summary, knowing the numbers for the type and understanding thoroughly the effects of the controls andyou are on the way to being comfortable with whatever you fly! Welcome to the Forums and have fun!

Best Regards

Ed ;)

Guest Jetgirl

Hi,

we currently teach in the older Jairus and looked seriously at the new model. Until we saw amongst other aircraft, the Sportstar. Seriously this aircraft is fabulous and sure to exicte any potential aviator. The sportstar is well set up for training as well. People will easily get used to throttle and stick positions.

Jetgirl

Guest Vigilant

Hi Jetgirl,

So do you have a Sportstar on line? It certainly is a great little plane and one that I can not wait until I get another chance to fly. Unfortunaltely I am back at work now and flying time will be a bit more difficult as our local school at Georgetown only fly out of Devonport twice a week, both weekdays with their Jabiru so I hope to soon try it out.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Jetgirl

Hi, no not yet. I am crossing my fingers at the moment though. Peter is coming to see us in October so we are very excited about it. We flew one that was for sale recently but missed out on it sadly. I have to say I am hooked on what I saw. Such a great plane. Presently we have a Jabiru online in the RAA flying school.

Christine

Hi Vigilant,

Flying a new type (like getting into a Jabiru for the first time) will make you feel a bit spastic for the first couple of hours but it is something that we all have to do from time to time.

Give the Jabiru a go!

Guest Vigilant

Thanks for the post Roger, I am looking forward to getting back into the air I just have to fit it in now I am back at work and the good old Tassie Spring winds are making the days harder to pick. After the break I have had it will be good to go back over basics and I still have 6 days T.O.I.L. that I can take .................. yeah right!

Guest Vigilant

Can anyone help out with the pre start up - pre flight & take off landing checks for the Jabiru, I know from when in Qld I kept thinking I need to get a copy of them for the Sportstar to try and bash them into the old grey matter and muscle memory.

Guest Vigilant

I think it is a J200, not sure as I have not made contact with the flight school as yet. The school is Freedom Flight in Georgetown Tas operated by Eugene Reid.

Guest Vigilant

Thanks Ian, received the e-mail - good to see things are not that different and no doubt I will soon get the hang of the different controls. Dropped into work and still have court in the morning so hopefully the high sitting over Devonport will keep the sun out and wind down for the whole day. The worst thing is not knowing how long I will have to be at work so have not booked a flight - Fingers crossed. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Vigilant

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement, yesterday's flight was a bit of an anti climax and my concerns were groundless. A few little things in turns, nose high, nose low but my instructor was happy to put me onto circuits in the Jab next lesson.

Stuart