Camden Area Motor-Glider crash kills 2 - Aug 27th

Captain

The following from ABC news:

Two killed in Sydney glider crash

Two people have died in a plane crash on Sydney's south-western outskirts.

A glider crashed earlier this afternoon near the suburb of Camden.

Both occupants were found by emergency crews inside the wreckage.

Fire fighters are continuing efforts to control a small fire at the scene.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1725234.htm

Captain

A further update from a Gliding Forum that I inhabit says as below ... but this is all speculation at this time and may not be accurate.

The motor glider in question was privately owned by a member of Southern Cross Gliding Club (which is based at Camden).

The pilot was apparently heading from Camden back to Bankstown where the aircraft is hangared, with his young son as a passenger when the accident occurred.

Apparently the Sydney Channel 7 and 9 news at 6pmshowed pictures of the scene showed a completely burnt out wreckage apart from what looked like a small part of a wingtip.

Guest Fred Bear

Having flown in a motor glider type (Lambada) this afternoon myself, very sad news indeed. Close to our aviation home of The Oaks too so it really hits home. We have had a few motor gliders fly in to The Oaks aswell at times. Apparently witnesses saw 'pieces' fall from this aircraft prior to impact. See what is revealed later on. RIP to the father and son of this aircraft.

Guest Fred Bear

Yes Mark was Gerry and I in the Lambada this afternoon. We went down to Jaspers Brush and we are both ok. Sad news indeed.

darrenmasters

Guest David C

I was worried too that it could have been our good mate Gerry . It is a relief to find that he is ok . I think I speak for all of us when I say our condolenses go out to the poor family of the deceased in this tragic accident near Camden .

Guest Fred Bear

You can find video on this sad event here:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/seven/index.html#

Must have been some sort of catastrophic failure which led to this tragic accident as Neil was apparently way too experienced to crash land like this unless something was majorly wrong. Condolences to Neils family and other aviation collegues. Hits very close to home for all of us here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dragout

Pieces falling off. Catastrophic failure. Yes, have to wait to see but -1/. what a tragedy. Too terrible to contemplate.?

2/. moregrist for the parachutes(personal/whole of aircraft) mill.