First purchase where to start

Guest coolmango

Guest airsick
Ok... X-Air looks like the "the ducks proverbials". But I can't configure it with their pricing below 40K from their website (with the Oz dollar falling their pricing is still from Setp 2007). I could strech to 30k for one of these

Look at the ad in the latest RAA mag. They are around $15k plus engine, prop and panel so I suspect you could get away with it for under $30k (others would have a better idea though). It might even be worth sending Rocko a PM, he has (or had?) one. His is slightly dearer though because he went for the Hanuman model. See this thread here:

Recreational Flying

Guest coolmango

HI Ian

I agree :thumb_up: the thruster sounds like it would be a good choice seems to be well supported in these forums - seems to be the ideal option. Though I am buying it and I am learning to fly - my wife is the 50% equation.

We have not seen one in real life but at this point "she" would not been "seen dead" in one as she claims they are particularly ugly. Only seen one on the Internet though....

However I do plan to give the thruster a really good look. Do you know where I might go in SE qld where there is some ownership ? I live in redcliffe ( this is 1.5 hour drive we do each weekend), but travel to Boonah each weekend for flying lessons and club activities. I hope to perhaps even get the opportunity to go up as a passenger (I am only in RA training at the moment).

I am listing a kidney in very good condition on ebay to fund this purchase, so I will need to keep a keen eye on value for money. the wife has this thing about keeping the kids feed... I don't get it but anyway :clown:.... and as I see it the thruster wins hands down in this area... To fund this purchase I am going to tack th purchase onto the mortgage so I need to ensure I get something the rest of my clan can be proud of.

I am just a passionate guy who has always wanted to fly and be recreationally active, and do th fly-in's and become an active member of the RA-AUS community - probably need to complete my training and buy a plane to achieve this.

I have waited most of my life and I want start now, instead of waiting until I retire in another 20 odd years or so...

All I want to do is fly.... and fly often... very often...

___ Also many thanks to every body for all your excellent advise and input ! my enthusiasm ______ 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Guest pecram air

Which Type ??

I am no expert but I would suggest wait till you finish your training and fly a few types and make sure the missus opinion is listened to. What I wanted to by when I was training was totally diffeerent to what I bought after a few years.

Regards

Phil C

Guest TOSGcentral

Coolmango,

If you want a ride in a Thruster then I usually have one serviceable at Watts Bridge and both you and your wife are welcome to a ride. But I would need you here early morning so that you have a fair appraisal of the aircraft. At the moment I have an excellent T500 which will give you a really good impression of the type.

One of the prototype Thruster Swifts will be flying in a week or so but that is a first stage development and I am not too keen on anyone flying in it half complete – other than Lois and myself or someone with a lot of Thruster experience who wants to take a look at the development work.

Looking to your personal future I should be able to get you into a really good, fully enclosed T500 in good condition and optioned up for about $16,000 - they come up regularly.

Alternatively, I can build you a Swift (once I have certification complete) for around $25,000 maybe less depending on the quality of the base airframe.

This would be a totally enclosed Thruster version, fully re-manufactured and bench mark inspected. Features are a sealed cockpit with four way ventilation system, numerous anti drag devices, five stage flapperon including reflex, reduced angle of incidence bracket to tame the landing, aerodynamic elevator and rudder trimmers via cockit overhead control, latest heavy duty undercarriage, wheel spats, anti interference drag fairing, streamliner pod with forward inspection hatch, pneumatic tailwheel, all fabric low drag Armorall coated (three coats), R582 motor with C or E gear box, 68†three blade Brolga prop with spinner, long range fuel tank, radio, intercom and headsets. Target cruise 70 knots at 16 ltr/hr and full flap stall around 32 knots. These will be fully certified and can be used in flying schools. They will also be certified for 450 kg MTOW.

There will be a BMW R100 four stroke version available but that will be outside your personal time frame and will be more expensive.

Regarding your comment that the Thrusters are well supported on these forums. They are. But they also have TOSG standing behind them and that is were all the actual work happens in terms of support. Use the link on the Thruster part of these forums to the TOSG web site and you can see dozens of different types of Thruster.

Aye

Tony

Guest coolmango
I am no expert but I would suggest wait till you finish your training and fly a few types and make sure the missus opinion is listened to. What I wanted to by when I was training was totally diffeerent to what I bought after a few years.Hi Phil

well.... I certainly agree.. I hear you loud an clear - hence the effort I ma putting in to research... and I am not rushing into anything....but to buy the aircraft, I need to tack it on my mortage. We are selling our home of 16 years and downsizing to afford this . Now thats an understanding wife !

Our budget is not "high end" so I am fairly limited to the options. needs to be around 20k.... if I give her los of cuddles maybe 30k ( there are beter odds of snow in port douglass i expect though) ....

Given the miss's has been good enough to allow me to follow my dreams, it gives me a 6 month window (or their abouts) or it just wont happen, until i save the pennies. So I am reaseaching over the next six months.

The wife has a few rules - side by side seating, doors. and the ability to pack a tent sleeping bags and a few items of clothing. We have a combine weight of 130kgs odd (yea ! I am only light!)

Else - I can wait and wait and wait and probably change my mind several dozen times and still have no aircraft...... I have met many of those peoeple over the last few months...

so my choices are now (in the next 6-9 months) or wait a very long time......