Very alarming statistics

Guest Fred Bear

Guest micgrace
1992-98 7.2 deaths per year

1985-99 6 deaths per year

2000-06 7.6 deaths per year

There is no relativity to hours flown from 2000-06

There is no mention of the substantial growth in recent years in Recreational flying.

Hi all

A simple statistical test would settle this. but would need actual numbers of registered pilots and other details to be actually valid, but for a simple comparison this will have to do.

I suspect numbers (pilots) have at least quadrupled but the deaths have not. lets say there was 1,000 pilots in the ,80's and 4,000 in 2005/6 and if you believe this guy, if nothing changed you would have some 25 deaths, not 7.6

So, in fact, the safety record has improved by at least a factor of four, say .01 chance in 1985 to .0025 in 2005 now compare that to 5,000 (all states) deaths per year on road, say 10,000,000 drivers (I don't know the real numbers) and you get .01 chance so now you are now 4 times more likely to be killed on the road in 2005/6 as to flying an ultralight using this guys own figures.

So why's there no screaming match about cars? Ban them?

NeedI say more?

Micgracesmiley1.gif

Guest Crezzi

For an insurance companies view of the relative risks of different activities have a look athttp://hb2.hbinsurance.co.uk/travel/single/activities.asp. On this assessment you are far safer ona motorbike (or pretty much anything else) than flying !

I've used this company in the past to get personal insurance for a couple of flying expeditions - at the time microlighting wascategory 3 (same as polo). Guess they must have had some hefty aviation related claims since then (though not me happily).

John

Guest Fred Bear

Great. Just the sort of article we need!068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif (to the author of the article).I can just imagine media hype (as the media does with any story half interesting) with this one. If it sounds half interesting and we can dramatise it a bit more, let's print it. At the end of the day bar some catastrophic incidents, do silly things in ultralights (beyond your personal experience and aircraft capabilities) you could die. Simply as that. Same applies to cars, motorbikes,walking and anything else you do. After working for the Coroner for the past 10 years I can tell you that I scraped up alot more people off the roads in cars and motorbikes than I ever did from ultralights and aviation accidents. I still feel much safer up in the air than down on the ground sometimes. If I told you how many people die at home in freak accidents you would be surprised also. So, continue flying and enjoying this wonderful sport of ours called Recreational Aviation, or die young with worry.

Guest Fred Bear

Further, as for you motorbike guys (I used to be one) it's often that a motorbike rider will become 'unstuck' not because of his/her actions, but by the actions of other non-suspecting motorists on the road. Pity they don't have the skills to 'watch out, motorbikes are about' and 'the road is there to share' etc etc.

Not to underestimate the dangers however in this day and age life is full of areas that could cause us danger, so that being the case do we give all enjoyment? Do we all become couch potatoes afraid of living and enjoying this mystery we call life?

There are those who work with statistics some of which are rubbery and manipulate these vague figures to clam all sorts of things and if we believe these people we would never get out of bed.

Having read many many postings on this forum I haven’t read one posting from one person that says that they hate their flying as for me I love it and as long as I listen to the experienced and do the safety thing I have been taught I will continue to enjoy my flying no matter what statistics some of these people come up with. (I just wonder if any of these statisticians have enjoyed the wonder of flying an ultralight?)

Hay, not wanting to preach however If and when my turn comes I am a winner because my eternity is assured, ask yourselves this, if you where faced with death could you say the same thing?

Don

danda

Guest David C

Life is a risky business . I remember a few years ago living in Britain at the time . a family decided to sail to France from England because they were afraid of flying . What happened ........ A light aircraft fell from the sky and hit their boat , killing them . The pilot survived . I know it sounds unlikely but it actually happened . I suppose the moral of the story is ..... When your times up thats it .

Don ..... I'm not bothered where I go post death so long as they have Jabirus and Bantams 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Guys, lies, dam lies and statistics!!!!! I have a full time job, I drive a car, I ride a motorbike, and, you gussed it, I fly an ultralight....Well when it comes to STATISTICS!!! the one I use to counter the heathens who do not fly, is that,in Australia, more people die at work each year than die on the roads. And that morepeople dieon the roads than in aircraft!!!!So.... I should give up my job..... Not drive on the roads and just fly!!!! as it's safer!!!!!.....This is notment to be cynicle... but last weekend a pilot and his sondiedwhen their motorglider crashed on Sunday. Not long afterwards a yong mandied whenthe car he was driving ran off the road, not far from the motorglider accident. That night the local, and nationalnews, reported the aircraft accident but not the motor vehicle accident....why? Well, aircraft crashes are more newsworthy then motor vehicle accidents. My piont is, when it comes to motorised transport,there is an inherent risk involved, and how we percive the risk, affects our oppinion. Most people, myself included,take( wil take ) our new born babies home from hospital in a car, and not give much thought to the risk we exposethem to.But if we arrived at the hospital in an ultralight, or any aircraft, to take them home, well, what would the reaction be??? As for danda's comments regarding the after life, my oppinion is... Better to have loved (flown) and lost, than not to have loved (flowm).

Well lambadaman as far as the love department goes make no mistake I miss out on nothing, I love my flying with a great passion, after 35 years + I love my wife with an even greater passion however as for the one who gave up everything for me I love myLORD and savour with everything I have so you seein the Lovedepartnment I have missed out on nothing in fact I'm way out in front. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif:):)

Don

Guest David C

Don ,

We have a radio station here in Sydney , Mix106.5 . They have a presenter who calls himself The Love God . It's not you is it ? . 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

Keep smiling ,

Dave