It's cold down here!

Guest airsick

Guest airsick

Woke up in the morning and the day was perfect, cold but perfect. Blue skies, some puffy clouds around, very little wind - what more could you want? Had some chores to do in the morning but by midday I was done and champing at the bit to go do some flying so a quick call to a mate and we were off.

A quick preflight of the aircraft, run ups and a request for airways and taxi clearance saw us heading off to 30 for a departure to the south. We had a short delay while we waited for some heavies to pass in front of us before getting a takeoff clearance. Our take off roll was typically short and the usual comments about taking off before the heavies and flying over them as they rolled along the cross strip after us flowed!

The plan was no plan really. We figured we might head towards Polo Flat but a quick call to Mike Apps revealed not much going on there so we thought we would head a little west and check out the goings on at Adaminaby and drop in on the 'new' club. Coming close to the town there was no chatter on the radio and as we overflew the strip we could see even less activity on the ground. It seemed no one wanted to take advantage of the great weather we were having. What's wrong with them?

No worries we thought and diverted over to Tumut, surely something was happening over there! As we approached we could hear a trike in the circuit doing some training so we joined crosswind behind him, completed a standard circuit and did a full stop on 35.

The guys in the trike did another circuit after we landed but stopped at the end of the strip for a while before rolling again. A short while later we noticed one of the guys walking back in holding his helmet in his hands. It turns out he had just sent one his students off on his first solo. I don't know who it was but the smile was unmistakable when they taxiied back in a short time later. Congratulations whoever you were! :)

A few of the club members were trying to sort out some problems with high oil pressure in the Jabiru they have so we stopped to have a chat with them. We kicked the tyres and played with the pitot cover while looking at the engine scratching our heads but offered no assistance what so ever!

One of the guys was interested to have a look at the Virus that we were flying so we gave him a quick run down. He was quite intrigued by the brakes and the negative flap set up on the aircraft and obviously keen to go for a fly. Alas, time was against us so I couldn't oblige and we headed off a few minutes later.

Leaving the circuit we discovered the GPS had failed! This didn't worry us as we were using maps anyway so we headed home to Canberra without any hassle. Not long after departing we were requesting airways into Canberra and were put into position for a left circuit into runway 30, the same one we used on departure. We were requested to roll through the intersection to get clear of, you guessed it, a Virgin heavy coming in on 35 and exited off kilo into the parking area.

The trip was fun and the weather was great. We saw plenty of snow but we didn't go too close to the thick stuff as the clouds were quite low over the mountains and the aircraft isn't fitted with ski's. :) A good day by all accounts. Now, to try and work out why the GPS isn't working...

IMG_2312.jpg.421cf18a3b6a1759272fac8803cff4d9.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg.022f87ffed0e172406fee0cee080bf3d.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg.13996dc81f06d35846e5903ddcfa2011.jpg

Nice report. Sounds like a good day.

I was stuck on the ground at Goulburn most of the day (doing the 100 hourly to prepare for Hopetoun next weekend) until a late afternoon test flight.

I thought a beautifully quiet motor glider streaking overhead might have been you.

Turned out to be a Lambada. Husband and wife on first flight together since getting it. I thought it must have been low powered because it was so quiet - until he took off again. It really went. It must have climbed at at least 1000fpm with the 2 of them looking heavy (rugged up).

Great aircraft.

Guest airsick

When are you heading down to Hopetoun? I might try and tag along with you if I can get my GPS issues sorted.

Guest airsick

I am not worried about navigating with maps, I just want to try and sort the problem out. Besides, I can follow you if necessary. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif