Exhaust Insulation Wrap

Vev

Hi Steve,

That's a great result... well done!

Sorry about all the questions, but was the 12deg C reduction during ground testing or in flt?

Cheers

Jack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Geoff

I presume there would still be plenty of heat from all over the engine in particular the sump, the oil cooler air, the ducted air off the piston heads and barrels and the exhaust header pipes before they get to the muffler and the inlet air itself. All that air is in the engine bay and is heated by the engine one way or another except the air going into the carburettor. That air has to go past the carburettor before it can escape from the engine bay.

Anyway I am not committed to insulating the muffler or anything else. I just want to be able to do it immediately or take it off if it is required. I am aware that you are very conscious of keeping the engine heat down by keeping up a good airspeed as you told and showed me at Leeton as the POH also indicates. So I have kept that good advice in my head and seen it proven a few times since that flight in a few dead engines.

Regards

Hi Jack , sorry i should have explained better, in flight i showed a 12C reduction in the cowi space, however the temp rises once on the ground but is still 4 deg C cooler than without the wrap, but i guess you would expect that with minimal airflow to exhaust the hot air, you do see the cowl temp reducing as full power is applied for take off, again displays the effect of positive airflow in, the temp reduction overall should help stop any heat deformation of cowling surfaces, overall i consider the process very worthwhile why, engine, elecrical,fibreglass, performance all are improved or protected by reducing temps within the cowel

Hi Steve,

Thanks again ... great result. It's too late to test my before and after under cowel temps without taking off the wrap, although I'm very pleased to see a good reduction in my CHT, which has made the effort all worthwhile.

Best regards

Jack