Canberra to Darwin Route

Guest Ross Muir

Guest Ross Muir

Hi

A mate (in a Beech Sierra) and I (in a C172) are flying from Canberra to Darwin around 21 August. If the the weather holds out we are planning to fly: Canberra, Bourke, Windorah, Mt Isa, Borraloola, Darwin (those are the fuel stops). We could play safe and go from Mt Isa to Tennant Creek, Tindal, Darwin but it would be a significantly longer flight.

Any views from those that have done that trip? Thanks

Ross

Have you looked at Canberra, Bourke, Birdsville (more interesting than Windorah), Barkly Roadhouse, Tindal, Darwin. You can land and taxi up behind the Barkly Roadhouse (they now have fuel - but check first). Good place for lunch.

Bubba

Guest High Plains Drifter

If your coming back, perhaps fly two different tracks.

I dont know your experience level so, some sundry thoughts,

Carry your emergency beacon and a couple of water bottles on your person. A ground sheet/light rope in a pocket is a good idea for sun protection. What you wear is the 'survival' kit - What is carried in the aircraft is the 'camping' kit.

Carry plenty of water in the aircraft.

Ring ahead to check fuel available.

Birdsville is handy - can park across the road from the pub :thumb_up:

As you will be flying with another aircraft, perhaps a little more 'adventurous' flying can be done - i.e. if one goes down, there is another to report position.

If the range is there, probably Birdsville-Alice direct is not a bad run. Plenty to see and for over half the section you can get down to legal minimuns without scareing cattle - a bit bumpy though.

Tennant creek-VRD with a slight dog leg to over fly the Kookaburra Memorial is an interesting flight, again at legal min height. Gain height after the memorial so-as not to scare cattle.

VRD-Timber ck-Darwin, via Litchfield is a nice run. A bit more height required due the increasing timber - still plenty of open areas around.

Plenty of pilots on this forum have done Northen flying, so I'll let others piont out the other interesting things to see :thumb_up:

• 1 month later...