RA AUS and Europe

Guest Bendorn

Guest Bendorn

If I go to France and want to fly an 'ultralight' there.... Does my RAA ticket get me in the sky??? Can anyone help me out with their own personal experience?

Guest Crezzi

RAAus pilot certificates aren't ICAO standard and hence they are only valid within Aus.

Each country has its own microlight /ultralight licencing arrangements and although these may include recognition of other countries licences that probably doesn't include Australia. For example British pilots flying British microlights are allowed to fly in France for a period of time without getting any French paperwork (& vice versa.).

To legally fly without an instructor you would probably have to get a local licence but this might not involve much more than a check ride, possibly an exam or 2 and doubtless some paperwork & costs. And you would also have to find someone to hire you a plane (might not be so easy). Unless you are planning on doing a lot of flying its probably easier to just go with a local instructor and view it as an opportunity for a refresher

Cheers

John

Guest David C

I visit GB regularly for family reasons , and going again in October . From experience I just fly with an instructor while I'm there . The airspace restrictions are such that it's a nightmare to keep up with changes etc. in the short time I'm there . I usually fly from Wolverhampton Airport in a Icarus C42 . For your info have a look at the British Microlight site http://www.bmaa.org/..... Be aware though , it's Expensive !!!! ... Non of this $120-$160 Hr rates like we get here . more like $300 / Hr .

Dave C

when flying in Italy, the instructor or aircraft owner came in handy for the radio as they talk with local lingo and not english. never bothered with looking up the local regs just went flying. advise checking your travel insurance most don't cover self piloting or non rpt/charter flying.

Ozzie