Ballarat- a hop skip and jump from Melbourne

Guest Jetgirl

Guest Jetgirl

Hi

I am based at Ballarat and we have certainly had a increase int he number if day trippers and weekenders out to us this year.

On the airfield we have 2 aviation museums one for general aviation at Ballarat and the old RAAF history. The other which is rebuilding an Avro Anson aircraft, also having some great history of Ballarat and Victoria during RAAF years and WW2.

On the field you will find a diverse range of aircraft from the Strikemaster to a Yak formation team.

Many of the weekend vistors are also using the onsite accommodation as well.

So if you are not far from Ballarat drop in for a cuppa!

Jetgirl

Hey Jetgirl,

Maybe there are folks from further afield that would also be interested in calling in... I'm in country NSW (but lived in Ballarat as a kid) and am travelling down your way in October...

So can you help with more detail on the museums, etc? Like an URL?

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Jetgirl

Hi, the museums unfortunately do not have a website. Older gentlemen run them and they are not well versed with technology. The Anson Museum is open all weekend from about 10-5 usually. The Aviation Museum is generally open from 1-4.30pm as it is run by a roster of volunteers.

We are in Hangar 5 and are pretty much there every weekend. Let me know when you are coming if you like and I'll put the coffee and scones on!

I have a flyer for the museum I will endeavor to scan and place up on here for you to see.

Christine