raa registered a/c able to be vh registered?

Guest PeterMJ

Guest PeterMJ

You here of some ga planes offered for sale in the ra market - e.g jab430 for sale either vh registered, or ra registered with the 2 back seats ripped out. Can it work the other way around? For example, buying a plane under ra registration, eg j230, and after clocking up some hours, upgrading to ppl after ga training, transferring registration to ga/vh (add two more seats for the kids, or pet rabbit). Sounds too good to be true, so it is probably covered by a rule to protect us/the public. Any thoughts ?

Guest High Plains Drifter
Can it work the other way around? For example, buying a plane under ra registration, eg j230, and after clocking up some hours, upgrading to ppl after ga training, transferring registration to ga/vh

From my limited understanding, if a currently RA 'registered' /maintained aircraft had been previously GA/VH you would likely, with a friendly LAME, be able to put it back to VH - probably cost prohibitive though.

Guest Cloudsuck

Yep, you just need to have it inspected by an authorised person and issued with an Experimental C of A. It's not all that expensive. To get my Yak inspected and issued with a Limited C of A, it cost about $1200 and the initial rego from CASA was about $200ish. GA rego lasts forever so you don't have to re-register each year but you do then need a LAME to do the maintenance on it and this is where the cost starts to hurt.

I think you might IF you dont want to change seating numbers

Reckon finding a VH registered version and changing might be cheaper and easier

Of course you need to have reqd TSO instruments etc etc

Im keen to know if you can convert though

Keep us informed

JR

• Informative 1

Guest brentc

If you can find someone that can do it for you, the main limitation will be that you will be unable to maintain it yourself which may negate any benefits that you were hoping to derive. I can think of a freelancer (CASA delegate outside SAAA) that does Jabiru's in general - his costs are around $2k.

Remember too that if you build it yourself (or finish it off and register it) you can learn to fly in it and maintain it, however if you didn't build it you won't be able to do either.