aft weight ,trim and? j230

Guest imflyer2

Guest imflyer2

I see that there are some threads addressing lack of forward trim when there is aft loading.

When we purchased our factory built 230sp we were inclined to believe that the 230 was capable , although not legally so in the USA, of carrying the same useful load as the 430. We will be carrying in loading area "A" and "B" a wheelchair and a lift. about 80KGs . Two upfront at 150kgs.

would anyone expect this to be a problem for us. Since this is not experimental here we can't do any trim tab modifications without some difficulty.

thanks for any comments,

Jess

You will be over the RAA limit, but the safe operating limits are more than capable I would think.

PM me your contact details and I will need to know your BEW and CofG and a quick tinkle of the keys will generate you a spreadsheet to suit your a/c so you can see for yourself.

I can not condone exceeding the RAA limits..... but if you do, you might as well know what the laws of physics are doing!

J

Guest brentc

No dramas if you are in the US of A with RA-Aus limits!

The J230 is capable on paper of 700 kg's and off paper capable of 750 - over here if you built it yourself you can make it 750 if GA registered in experimental, so personally I'm confident of what it can and can't carry. (you'll have to assess that for yourself so I don't get sued ;))

My J400 which carries the same amount as the 230, will accept easily full fuel, 2 x front pax of 80kg's each plus easily a rear seat pax of 80-100. Any more than that and I would need to ditch some fuel.

Performance will degrade somewhat and runway length at 20 degrees sea level might be somewhere like 400-450 metres (J430 knows more about that with the higher temps) and performance will go from a sports-car to a semi-trailer, but that being said it will still be within the safe limits of the aircraft when GA registered and I would still expect climb rates of over 500fpm.

Guest imflyer2

got our W/B today

our empty wt is 839 arm 9.75 moment 8180.38

J 430 I would like to see that schedule you mentioned but it appears that we will be within Cg limits but maxed out on wt. at 700 KGs. so we'll run on half tanks .

Brent you seem confident in the j230 ability to haul some wt. but you have mentioned in another thread that the aft load may cause it to run out of forward trim. I guess you mean even when it is properly loaded and withing Cg limits.Would you elaborate on this ?.

Thanks ,

jesse

You need to PM me your contact details so I can email you the program.

As Brent points out, the J230/430 will haul 700kg off the deck in about 300m even in summer at sea level.

It has been tested well over this.

Cheers!

J

Guest brentc

Yes, correct, you will possibly run out of forward trim, however it still flies fine, it just requires a small amount of constant forward input, but certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

I could cut my tabs off but don't want the stub remaining and looking crap on the back of the elevator. For the amount of times that I load up the back it's not worth the cosmetic headache.

Guest imflyer2

possible?

yeah this is factory built and we're just trying to establish some safe guidelines to determine what potential this plane has for fullfilling our mission here. It may be that it just won't be a go but we want to know what the real story is.

According to my calcs ,with the specs i gave you we would be at 655.5kgs and a C.G. of 300mm.

the envelope I have shows that to be in the envelope but toward aft limits.

175-338 is what what my wt/bal shows as envelope.

According to this it is safely doable but having limited experience and none in jabs i really appreciate everyones help and comments.

Even if it is flyable for some , will it be for the less skillful?