Maintenance

pylon500

Just a quick one, while doing a hundred hourly last weekend, I noticed a crack had formed on the brake band attaching tang where it is welded to the stub tube. (forgot to take a photo!) Asked a nearby LightWing operator who then said he had had the same problem.Problem has been welded up but would like to hear of others with the same or similar problems.This reflects from an incident we had about ten years ago when an axle snapped off an LW-1. Severley damaged the aircraft, and we then found that it had happened before to others, but it was not 'common knowledge'! Just looking at the AUF airworthiness site and I don't see any direct 'online' way of submitting a notification other than the 'Defect and Incident Report form' or by emailing the Tech. manager via the 'contact us' link.

• 2 years later...
Guest Maj Millard

Yes I have heard before that the brake band itself can break, where it attaches on the top side. I do try and keep an eye on them occassionly. I did notice on later planes, Sport 2000 I think, that they have an upgraded drum with an inner lip on it. Keeps the band on the drum and running straight, which it generally dosen't without it. Cheers Arthur. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif