J160 Brake pads

Guest Karl FAETH

Guest Karl FAETH
068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif Any J160 users out there that have had problems with brake pads cracking. Ours has done about 80+ hours and I noticed that there is a small crack in the top of the pads leading down to the 1st rivet. Brakes too harshly applied?

Guest Fred Bear

Karl - did you fit the brake pads yourself during building? If so, you may have simply been a bit rough when you fastened your rivets. It's a very common problem with the pads as they are bordering on quite brittle. It takesabout 45 minutes to change a set of pads on a J160. They are about $10 per pad so it's good to have a few spare sets. Perhaps 80 hours might be getting near end of life for them? Remember that it might look like there's plenty of pad left, however remember that the rivets will take up some of the remaining pad and before you realise, you'll have metal on metal! If you let them run down too far and don't tighten the bolts, you will end up with a situation of the brake piston coming out too far, cocking to the side then releasing the brake fluid which will result in a total break failure, unless you have dual pistons. Certainly something to watch out for.

Guest Fred Bear

Depends on your runway conditions and usage. A school aircraft on bitumen may only get around 50-80 hours out of a set whereas on grass you're talking a long time. Personally, I'll get up to 200 from a set, however those new "jagged" disks will chew through a set in no time flat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Karl FAETH

Thank you for the replies. The comments re rivets are quite correct. I think 150 hours is a good time for us to change the pads.