Anyone from the Yarra Valley area......

Guest Mad Dave

Guest Mad Dave

G'day all,

I live in Mt. Evelyn and on Saturday morning as I was doing some work around the yard I saw a quite large, old looking twin engine, tail dragger, silver in colour go overhead a few times, and then head off toward Moorabbin (possibly). Any one with any ideas on what it was? I couldn't make out the rego.

Cheers,

Dave

Could it have been a DC3 from Essendon? They are regular sites across the sky of Melbourne. If not, perhaps a Beech 18 which is much smaller.

Trying to work out where Essendon airport is over cloud on a flight from Adelaide without any kind of navigational aid would be rather difficult! I'm not surprised they didn't make it. You could almost say that they were close to Essendon after such a long distance.

it was this accident that motivated the govt into commissioning without delay the radio range beacons and gave birth to the air traffic control system plus a major shake up of the civil aviation administration. It was the loss of several high ranking govt officials that really brought the actions into play. Amongst several well known 'civies' on this flight was Thomas Hardy.

Macarther Job has an excellent researched story of this in his book Air Crash vol1

Ozzie