What is this plane? and what is it up to?

Guest palexxxx

Guest palexxxx

For the last three days a plane registered as VH-HVP has been criss-crossing my property at 10 minute intervals going in a general east-west direction and altering its path by about 100-200 metres each time.

The registration comes up to an 'Airparts NZ Ltd' plane and it is owned by "UTS Geophysics P/L' of a Belmont, Perth address.

It has a big boom fixed hanging out the back which is about 2-3 metres long.

Does anyone know what it is doing?

Guest drizzt1978

Its most likely scaning the ground...maybe looking for oil...minerals..changes in ground composition indicating gold or something like that...i know a guy who flew one of those planes...dont ask me what type of scanning..maybe ultra sound radar or some crazy XXXX i do not understand!!!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Yes scanning sounds about right... Had one do the same a few yrs back over near our place, and someone said it was checking for coal....so you never know....:big_grin:

Guest palexxxx
Geez Paley - maybe they were looking for YOU. hehehe. :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

That's what I thought, that's why I was wearing my wide brimmed straw hat when I was outside so that they wouldn't recognise me.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

It thinks its raining out side but I'm not convinced. Yet. :confused: Next time that plane goes over put on a metal food strainer from the kitchen (stops the radio waves cooking the brain).

regards

Guest palexxxx
Next time that plane goes over put on a metal food strainer from the kitchen (stops the radio waves cooking the brain).regards

Thanks for the tip Pierre. Can I borrow one of yours? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I also wear one if I'm spending too much time on the computer. :ah_oh: :confused: 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif :black_eye:

Paley I'll send you two, (I just hope I'm not too late). radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gifradioactive.gif.ab1d7d6d5ccab99be37614844a7a6747.gifradioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif

regards

:big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

The boom or stinger as it's called contains a magnetometer which measures back ground magnetics, from this data ore bodies and or the general stucture of the subsurface can be determined. Reasonably old technology but cheap to carry out.

Typical grid east west 400m spacing with north south cross grid of typically 2000m

Often contained within the aircraft are crystal packs for measuring background radiation, different soils give off different signatures, usually complimentery data to the mag data.

M

Guest palexxxx

Thanks youngmic,

I thought that would be what it was doing, I'm just east of Bendigo so I imagine that it is scanning for gold. How deep can the device probe the ground, or is it just detecting what's on the surface?

It is not so much probing the ground as measuring the magnetic anomolies of what is below.

As an example if you stood 10 m behind the stinger and twirled a magnetic tipped screw driver you could watch the result on the screen. However you would not see the screw driver at 50m.

So it depends how big the magnetic influence is, a huge ore body like the range just to the west of Newman WA (sorry forgot its name) sends the gear mad from 10,000'

It also depends on what the general background cultural (magnetic) noise is like, so yes it will see deep if there is something sizable down there.

The stinger on the Orions is much the same and used for detecting subs.

So, if you take your microwave oven out in the back yard and make some popcorn with the door open, they might buy your place off you at a huge profit? ;)