Best way to approach Study Material?

lazerin

Hey all,

I've just acquired the Student Pilot Kit and would like to read up as much as possible before starting my lessons, hopefully this weekend.

What is the best way to study through the three books? (i.e. "Basic Aeronautical Knowledge", "The Flying Training Manual" and "Flight Radio for Pilots").

Should I read one before the other? Or should I read one chapter at a time and alternate books e.g. read chp1 of BAK, then chap 1 of TFTM and finally chap 1 of FRFP and then start with chap 2 of BAK and repeat. Or any other way?

Any pointers would be appreciated!!

Cheers! (i'm excited!)

This is a question for your instructor. Most will have a system where they will get you to study what will be relevant to your next lesson, that way they can reinforce / demonstrate what you have read.

Enjoy!!!

when i sit down and do some serious studying i read the page then go back and read it again and mark with a highlighter the revelant phrases and key words. i find i retain information better when i do it like this rather than just read it.

Ozzie

Guest Pop-top

I went through the same problem a little while ago. I strongly suggest reading the Flying training manual first at least the first chapter about controls before your first lesson, if nothing else it builds a little confidence.

later on you can read the BAK book which directly relates to your exam - great stuff to know but you wont be really tested on it til 20+ hours unless you are very speedy, but I wouldn't want to be putting that kind of time limit pressure on myself.

Guest Brett Campany

I was never good at study but really had to pull my finger out in 2006 when I started flying for Customs Coastwatch. The one thing that got me through was flash cards and a good study mate. Constant testing and revision.

I also put about 15 plastic sleeves on my toilet wall (I know it sounds crude and a little silly but it works) and everything that I find hard to study, I keep a copy of it on the wall. You can do this where ever in your house but I've found that it can work to.

Different things work for different people so try everything but like it's already been mentioned, talk to your instructor! :thumb_up:

Guest Brett Campany
are 'flash cards' available for aviation?. i have only seen these when doing my master v for boating. they do help heaps.ozzie

I made up my own flash cards for aviation, they worked a treat! I believe you'll learn more if you come up with them yourself.

The flying training manual is the one your lessons will be based on so I recon you should study the section you will be learning before you arrive at the airfield. The BAK takes a secondary role until much later but personally, I studied them in parallel. Mainly because I am a very slow learner when it comes to learning from books so I didn't want to leave it all till the end!

Steven