Greetings from Lake Macquarie, NSW

rachelann46

Hi everyone

I am a semi-retired person with plenty of spare time to learn as much as I can about recreational aviation. Except for a recent short flight with a friend in a C152, all my flying has been either as a passenger on a commercial flight or on the Microsoft Flight Simulator. (I attended the Navigation Course for Right-seat Nonpilots which I found to be very useful).

I am seriously wanting to take some TIFs to see what flying in the real world is all about. It looks like a lot of fun. I've learned a lot from the simulator and now I think it would be a good time to check out flying for myself.

I'd be interested in finding out the best training route for someone who wants to make flying a hobby, traditional training for the PPL or training for a Rec-Av qualification. One consideration is that some of the early training for PPLs appears to occur in really old planes such as the C152, whereas I understand Rec-Av courses tend to start with more modern trainers, such as the Jabiru.

I'd appreciate some ideas about flight training.

Has anyone ever come across a Jabiru for Flight Simulator X. I'd like to compare the behaviour of these types of planes with the C152 and C172 I have on the simulator.

But my New Year resolution is to book a few TIFs and start the ball rolling.

Rachel

dont let the bloody grass grow under your feet get tif over and done with see you in the air real soon sell that sim and get on with the real thingy raa is the way to go if you realy want to learn

as a ga pilot said why in the hell am i flying coke can at 35 lts an hr with two board two on board storch 2.9 hr flight ground speed 95 knt 36 lts neil

Guest Brett Campany

G'day Rach, go and do a proper TIF, then book one or two lessons. There's no rush in getting things done but trust me you'll be hooked. I'm doing about 4 lessons a month and have just recently started. I love the rec flying, RAA is a great thing to get involved in and very time consuming but also very enjoyable!

If you're into Flight Sim aircraft I recommend the CSTW from Premier Aircraft Design. Just check out the software section in the forums here.

You'll love this side of life, it's such a buzz!