J250 Vs J230

compsci

I'm looking to buy either a J250 or a J230. My understanding is that the only difference between the two is the wing. I think that I like the shorter wider wing on the J250. I don't know why they made the J230's wing longer and narrower.

Very, very basic aerodynamics are the reasons for the longer, narrower, high aspect ratio wing

Wings, like everything on an aircraft are a trade off between efficiency, strength and weight.

Long, narrow, high aspect ratio wings are aerodynamically a lot more efficient than short wide, low aspect ratio wings.

Think gliders, U2's, raptors such as Falcons and etc.

The higher 230 wings aspect ratio is probably more efficient. The 250 has a lower stall speed. The 230’s ailerons are not as effective.

We recently flew a 230 and a 250 from Gympie to Atherton and back. The 250 gets off the ground a little faster. Climb rate about the same. The 250 needs a least 100 more RPM to keep up with the 230 in cruise and burns around 2 litres an hour at this setting. The higher you get the more this difference becomes apparent. Coming home we flew the Ayr-Gympie sector (523nm via the inland route), at the same fuel flow and the 230 came in 18 minutes faster.

Remember that the 250 and 450 were designed specifically for the US and Canadian markets originally to meet with stall speed requirements. If it's in OZ then the 230 would be the logical choice. Unless the 250 stalls slower, then it would carry more weight, thus when 760 comes along you may get a bit more than 600 potentially.