Help - stranded in Jandakot

danstee

sorry 4 formating - using phone. Am stranded at Jandakot Perth after discovering damaged alternator coil. Need replacement or rewind - 2 phase for 3300. Anx help or ideas appreciated. David 0422981144

Guest Brett Campany

Have just emailed Jabiru in Qld, also gave them your number to see if there's anyone else here in the West that can help.

Also trying to get hold of our engineer at work, he might also know someone that could help.

Will call you after I get through to him.

Guest Brett Campany

Cheers Linda, I haven't heard from David today because I've been flying, will be calling him this afternoon to see how he's getting on.

Guest Brett Campany

Hey David, haven't heard from you mate, I'm hoping everything came together. Give us an update when you can!

Made it back!

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to those offering support and help. Unfortunately I wasn't able to source an alternator coil from anywhere other than Jabiru. The coil rewinders with whom I spoke said that a custom rewind wasn't practical. With delivery time that put me a week behind schedule, certainly not the end of the world, but quite an inconvenience. With problems coming in 3s, we had 2 other problems on the trip back from Perth Jandakot to Riddells Crk.

Firstly, the fuse blew in the PowerMate voltage regulator. For everyone's information, they are a 15amp blue 'mini blade' fuse. Because the stretch over the Nullabor involved landing at a number of roadhouses, I asked there for replacement fuses, but of course they are rare. I'd suggest stocking up on a couple from Repco/AutoPro etc and keeping them 'under the seat'.

Secondly, on shut-down in Ceduna I did my usual mag check, to find one of the ignition circuits U/S. On careful investigation (equipped with a multimeter) I found that one of the rotor arms had sheared its inside locating lug, so the turning shaft on the engine was spinning, and not turning the rotor arm with it. With my luck picking up, the local Ceduna AutoPro shop had one of the black Bosch replacements (a GB73 for reference). The last one sold in the shop was back in Oct 2005. I'm going to buy another Bosch one (Ceduna only had the one), replace the old red rotor arm, and put that below the seat as well.

I hope these experiences and the above information can make someone's Jabiru flying easier and safer. If anyone wants information on route/refuelling/airstrip conditions, please feel free to drop me an email.

Safe flying!

David