How to do my theory component?

Guest Dr Nick

Guest Dr Nick

Hi,

Soon I will be starting out getting my pilots license (RA). I understand that not only do I have to complete 15 hours of flying with my instructor, and 5 hours flying by myself and him on the ground talking me through what to do, but I also have to complete a theory component.

I have two options for this:

1. I can do it as a TVET coarse, which means doing it as part of my HSC coarse, spread out over the next two years through tafe; or

2. I have been informed that it is possible to simply study on the internet, off a certain website and just do a few tests when I think I'm ready.

Which do you recommend?

I live in only a small town, with one flight instructor, and for the next three months (until my brother turns old enough to start) I will be the only person he is teaching to fly.

From this, I gather that (as long as I can keep finding enough money) this 20 hours of flying (I know its a bare minimum...) should not take anywhere near two years to complete.

If you know of the website I am referring two, which I could study off for the test, can you please tell me? I would love to take a look.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nick

Hi Nick,

The website you are most likely looking for is the RA-Aus website, specifically the flight theory section: RA-Aus Flight Theory

It is definitely possible to study for the exam at home by yourself. I haven't used the website much myself, but that's because my school recommended using a different set of books, produced by the Aviation Theory Centre. This is because they teach to a PPL syllabus.

Someone else who has gone through the website content will have to comment on whether it is sufficient for your written exams.

Good luck :thumb_up:

Guest Dr Nick

Thanks, lazerin!

I'll have a look at that website.

How long would it usually take to complete the 20 hours of flying if there were no other students that also had to be taught (such as in my case)?

Thanks again,

Nick

Nick, that depends how often you'll be flying and what your budget will allow. If you are able to fly everyday for an hour, then it'll take 20 days. Shorter if you fly more often. However, I wouldn't recommend flying more often that possibly 2 hours a day when you start. There's a lot to absorb and personally, I find that I absorb everything much better once I go away and come back.

Keep in mind also that more often than not, most people will exceed the 20 hour minimum so that should be allowed for.

I started my training last month (15/12/08) and I've logged 15.4 hours now. I've tried to fly probably about 4 or 5 times a week and I've had a couple of double lessons squeezed in there as well.

Guest Dr Nick

OK, thanks for that info.

I'm pretty sure I'll only be flying on weekends (as much as I want to fly more often)

So if i guess at about 3 hours per weekend... 7 weeks will allow 21hours...

I guess I'll just say about 2 months then?

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the theory?

I think I'll just study myself and take the test rather than doing it as part of the HSC - It wont count towards my UAI or anything anyway...

Nick

Guest pelorus32

G'day Nick,

welcome!

I reckon that the best thing to do is to study with one of the sets of books such as the set from the Aviation Theory Centre. Ask your instructor if you can sit the PPL(A) BAK - that's the Basic Aeronautical Knowledge test. If you ever want to go on to a PPL or a CPL then you will at some point have to have an entry in your log book showing that you have passed the BAK. My personal view is that the sooner you do that the better and it saves duplicate work.

The RAAus website is a mine of information and you should use it in addition to one of the standard study texts.

As to how long this process of getting your certificate should take: We all want to hurry with the process but the bottom line is that what you really want is a top quality outcome not just a fast outcome. You are going to want to be a pilot for a long time so it's best that you learn the basics well.

Many people find that their first lessons leave them feeling really stuffed - it's hard work learning a new skill from scratch. Once you get past that stage of feeling stuffed after every lesson then I reckon it helps to fly a couple of lessons a day both days of the weekend - if you can afford it. This means that you progress well and you build on your achievements without forgetting stuff.

Remember a couple of things though: the quality of your learning will fall off after about 40 minutes in each lesson. After that you are learning more slowly. That means it's costing you more money to learn the same thing and you are not learning it so well. This is about quality not just quantity. So think in terms of starting with one 40 minute lesson a day and then as you progress moving to maybe two 40 minute lessons a day, perhaps even three but with a good break in between.

Best of luck and remember that you can ask questions in the Training and Student Pilot section of the forum.

Kind regards from a very cold Italy!!

Mike

So if i guess at about 3 hours per weekend... 7 weeks will allow 21hours...

I guess I'll just say about 2 months then?

Nick

Hi there Nick.That's a good theory but there will be days when it is raining or too windy or your instructor has some other commitment.I had worked my training out similar to you,but you can pretty much double your estimate to avoid dissappointment.It can be done in the 20 hours easily.

Guest Dr Nick

Thanks Mike and Skyhog!

Mike - I'll talk to my instructor and see if I can do what you recommend... I will also try to take many short lessons, like you said (if you count 40 mins as short :) ). This all makes sense, I wouldn't want to be paying to sit in a plane and lose concentration when I could be taking a break and having another flight later after a break.

Skyhog - I didn't think of that, and with the weather here in Glen, more times than not it will probably be too bad to fly :(

Also, AFAIK you must be 16 to fly solo (a year before you can drive a car with no licensed passenger - too bad for the por people that drive ground vehicles) and since I turn 16 at the end of March, my 5 solo hours will have to be completed after that.

Hopefully I will be done by May/July... (probably sometime in July) which is still A LOT faster than I originally anticipated (considering for a car license you must spend 4 years practicing!)

This would also mean that I could have my full RA license by the time my brother got even 2 months in on his, and he will have to wait until March next year until he can fly solo, so unless this rule (being 16 to fly solo) doesn't apply when your being talked through it by your instructor (cct or something? - like what you do for the 5 hours when getting your license) I can still get my license over 6 months before him :D

Sorry for all of the reading... If I knew all of the tech terms of aviation I probably could have written that in one paragraph...

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Ah, as you haven't turned 16 yet, it might be worth holding out until then. The problem is that if you reach a stage where you are able to solo but your age is holding you back, you might end up spending more than you need to. The way I see it, the design of the syllabus is such that the solos build on top of what you've learnt and you continue learning on top of that. However, this is only my opinion and I don't really have much to base it on, so take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on it.

Guest pelorus32
Thanks Mike and Skyhog!Mike - I'll talk to my instructor and see if I can do what you recommend... I will also try to take many short lessons, like you said (if you count 40 mins as short :) ). This all makes sense, I wouldn't want to be paying to sit in a plane and lose concentration when I could be taking a break and having another flight later after a break.

Skyhog - I didn't think of that, and with the weather here in Glen, more times than not it will probably be too bad to fly :(

Also, AFAIK you must be 16 to fly solo (a year before you can drive a car with no licensed passenger - too bad for the por people that drive ground vehicles) and since I turn 16 at the end of March, my 5 solo hours will have to be completed after that.

Hopefully I will be done by May/July... (probably sometime in July) which is still A LOT faster than I originally anticipated (considering for a car license you must spend 4 years practicing!)

This would also mean that I could have my full RA license by the time my brother got even 2 months in on his, and he will have to wait until March next year until he can fly solo, so unless this rule (being 16 to fly solo) doesn't apply when your being talked through it by your instructor (cct or something? - like what you do for the 5 hours when getting your license) I can still get my license over 6 months before him :D

Sorry for all of the reading... If I knew all of the tech terms of aviation I probably could have written that in one paragraph...

Thanks for your help!

Nick

G'day Nick,

you can start flying RA at any age but you must be 15 before you can fly solo and get your certificate.

you should familiarise yourself with the information on this page:

Operations manual

The limitation ot 15 years is set out in section 2.06 which you can access on that page.

If you are under 18 you need the written approval of your parents to get a Student Pilot Certificate which is necessary before you can go solo.

Regards

Mike

Regards

Mike

Guest Dr Nick

Oh, ok, I seem to have misunderstood... I was sure that the restriction was for being 16 years old?

Are there any restrictions upon you up until you are 16 years of age? or was this just something I misunderstood?

In this case, I guess it doesn't matter when I start, as I will be able to fly solo as soon as I'm ready anyway?

Thanks again! I'm learning a lot from just this thread, let alone all of the others on this forum!

Nick

Guest pelorus32
Oh, ok, I seem to have misunderstood... I was sure that the restriction was for being 16 years old?Are there any restrictions upon you up until you are 16 years of age? or was this just something I misunderstood?

In this case, I guess it doesn't matter when I start, as I will be able to fly solo as soon as I'm ready anyway?

Thanks again! I'm learning a lot from just this thread, let alone all of the others on this forum!

Nick

As I recall the restriction to 16 years old refers to PPL, not to RA Pilot Certificate.

The only restrictions in RA are those that apply to any student based on their stage of training.

You will note that section 2.06 item 2 of the Ops Manual requires that your instructor is satisfied, among other things, that you are sufficiently mature to undergo flight training.

Mike

Guest Dr Nick

OK, thanks, one last question... what is PPL? Private Pilots License?

If this is the case, I guess it would not affect me or my brother at all...

Thanks again Mike! :D

Nick