Just Landed - grandson of Nick Comper

Stephen Perry

Hello All

I'm Stephen Perry and I am Nick Comper's grandson.

I don't fly but am eager to draw you attention to a new website that I and my daughter Mandy have created on Nick Comper. If you are interested in the Comper Swift and his other work please visit www.nickcomper.co.uk

I'm hoping to expand the site to look at what happened to the Swift after he died in 1939. Further if you can add to what we've written or correct please let me know.

Thanks for letting me join you.

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome Stephen, always liked the look of the Comper Swift, any hanging in museums in Australia ?.

I understood that Barnes Wallace and Frank Whittle did ok for themselves didn't they ? ( a comment after reading through your Comper link) 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks so much for visiting the site. I don't know about any Swifts in museums in Australia but have been contacted by Roy Fox in Australia who has two Swifts and one Gipsy Swift.

I sense you think any comparisons with Barnes Wallace and Frank Whittle may be over-egging Comper's reputation. That remark in the text was something I lifted from someone else's publication who believed this to be true and he knew vastly more about British aviation than I do. Certainly almost all British inventors have a big struggle in Britain to get the support they deserve. Barnes Wallace didn't have an easy time, even though eventually he became famous. It was intended as a business cultural remark about the UK.

Stephen Perry