Jab 2200 ground adjustable props

xair1159

Can anyone offer any advice or info on using ground adjustable props on the Jab 2200? Performance any better/worse, 2 blade or 3 blade etc.

Ones I can find some info on are Sensenich, Warp and DUC Swirl (French made). You have the home grown Revolution, have a price for it but not much detail. Believe Bolly are thinking about one but no idea when.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I fitted a 2 bladed (don't believe there is a 3 blade for the 2200 engine) carbon fibre ground adjustable prop about 120hrs ago to my 160. In terms of performance improvement, it’s very hard to say as I don’t have any firm data to give you other than my perception. However having said that, I did record before and after performance in terms of CHT and Oil temps to make sure these were still nominal vis a vis Jabs specs and my previous numbers… which they were.

In my view I think the cockpit noise is lower along with a very noticeable reduction in vibration. I did achieve a much higher cruise speed initially; however I slowly reduced the pitch and pulled the cruise speed back to find the best climb/cruise compromise.

The other good thing about this prop is its durability, which is way better than the orginal wooden prop. It's basically impervious to rain and grass cutting … it’s also very good in terms of stone chip resistance and very easily repaired if you pick up a stone, which I have managed twice in the last 50hrs.

If you asked me what I like about it the most, I would have to say the lack of vibration … its turbine smooth and quiet.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Jack

People at Tooradin have said that mine sounds like a turbine too ! (I have the 3 blade version of what Jack is running)

It's the Revolution.

I read that Bolly stopped all development on their Jab props after one shed a blade and the aircraft was significantly damaged. A check to their website would confirm if they are back into it again.

Mine is slightly noisier on the inside of the cabin, however outside from the ground, it's probably only HALF as noisy as a J160 with 2 blade standard timber prop.

I get no extra cruise with my current setting, however better climb and smooth running. I've never had to balance it like you would with a timber prop.

Jack, Brent,

Thanks for the replies, gives me a bit of confidence to hear that you have a good number of hours on the prop. What do you have your pitch set at (tip or 75% radius) and what static / max s&l rpm's are you running? I fly out of a fairly short strip, so prefer to trade a bit of cruise for good t/o and climb.

Didn't think it rained much where you are, but a prop that is good in rain could be a big seller here in the wet and windy west of Ireland.

Flew my previous a/c for 3 years with a different make engine and changed over from a wood prop to a 3 blade AeroSail CF prop made in Poland. I did get better performance, but it was also very smooth and quiet as you both said.

Have Revolution been around long and would they be a popular prop for the Jabiru?

G’day Nick,

I can’t recall what I set my pitch at and I don’t have access to my notes which are in the hanger. I found it more important to focus on the static ground RPM to achieve a min 2800 rpm … I’ve been thinking about making a slight adjustment to fine the pitch off a little and may shoot for 2850 rpm to assist my climb during summer here. My cruise set up now is around 2950 - 3000 rpm which gives round 105knts at 15.7 lt per hr burn with one up … with two people and gear I drop about 3-4 knts.

Just as a side comment …. I got a good tip from the Jabiru guys at the Cowra fly-in who suggested that if I drop about 2% of flap in at cruise, when fully loaded, I will improve my cruise speed … I tried this on the way back and picked up about 3 knts. This of course dropped the nose a little but seems to pick up the tail from dragging???

Durability in the wet is without question … I don’t try and fly through rain and avoid it when possible…. however with this prop, damage isn’t a consideration as it’s unaffected. I have fitted some prop tape to protect the leading edge against stone damage and replace when needed.

I’ll let Brent comment on Revolution OEM as he knows way more than me about the manufacture and props as he put me onto them about 18 months ago when he fitted his prop to his J400.

Cheers

Jack

I didn't take note of my pitch in terms of numbers because it's not really relevant as Jack says. You just pitch it somewhere near 15 degrees at the tips and start from there.

Jack, I had heard that before about the lowering of the flaps. Later on in the 170 if I'm not mistaken the angle of incidence of the wings was modified to overcome that problem. If you are flying along in your 160 / SP or similar and look out and compare the wing tip to the horizon, when you are straight and level it should be level too. If it's not and it's drooping to the rear, lowering flap may level it out and make the aircraft fly faster. I don't think much harm would come of your flap assembly as there is little force applied from doing this.