Getting back into it

Mikey_A

In just under 2 hours, I'll be sitting in the cockpit of a Sportstar down at Aldinga starting my first lesson since March 15, 2005. I'm not sure what's in store for me but who cares!!!

I've got two lessons today, one at 11:00 and the other at 16:00 which should take my total flying time up to 22.8hrs. I'll be sure to let you know how they went.

Cheers

Michael.

Guest Brett Campany

Nice work Mikey, I've just done another 2 hours at Bunbury in the Sportcruiser, brings me up to 7 hours. Definatly should get back into it, some of these new aircraft look awesome to fly!

Well, yesterday was good and bad. Good because I got off the ground again, everything I had learned in the pass came rushing back (well most of it) and it was lovely flying weather above 1000ft.

The bad part about it was I woke up yesterday with a bit of a scratchy throat and sore ears. My children have been unwell for the last week and they love to share these things. I ignored the symptoms, took a couple of panadol and headed off to Aldinga.

The first lesson at 11:00 was great, we recapped on the basics (Effects of Control, Straight and Level & Climb and Descent) followed up with a touch and go. I was surprised the instructor let me have control from takeoff to landing. The landing was very rough (all 5 I did for the day), I can't get a handle on the flare in the sportstar, the plane is so responsive to your inputs.

The second lesson at 15:00 (I think I told you all it was 16:00, sorry), I had a different intructor who also let me have control throughout except for when he was demistrating Stalls. We started off with Medium Level Turns which I don't mind at all but Stalling the aircraft I hate. So after about 6 Stalls, we headed back for some circuits. By this time I was feeling crap. I managed 2 touch and go's before calling it quits.

Now I'm in bed with my laptop waiting for the doctors to open!

Happy flying.

Michael.

Guest Brett Campany

Good to see you're back into it Mikey, how do you find the Sportstar? I'm keen to know what you think over all.

My instructor did the same with me, let me fly from start to just about finish on the first day. It took a couple of hours to get my confidence back (it had been 15 years or so) but it's just great to get flying again!

Hope you feel better soon mate!

Great instructors at Aldinga

They are a great training organisation down there at ALDINGA BiPlanes , Martin is a fab person and the team Gaylene etc just very hospitable.

Had great dealings with them and very experienced understanding instructors.

Well seeing Monday was the first day I had flown the Sportstar, I found it very good. I like the power the aircraft has, it has a huge rate of climb. I found it to be very sensitive to all the inputs which is taking a bit of getting used to, especially when flaring on final but overall I think it's a bute aircraft!!!

Guest Brett Campany
Well seeing Monday was the first day I had flown the Sportstar, I found it very good. I like the power the aircraft has, it has a huge rate of climb. I found it to be very sensitive to all the inputs which is taking a bit of getting used to, especially when flaring on final but overall I think it's a bute aircraft!!!

Nice!! I'm looking forward to taking one for a fly someday soon!

Guest Maj Millard

You blokes are very lucky to be training in such fine aircraft with reliable and powerfull engines. Do appreciate it. Wasn't so long ago you would turn up for a lesson that you didn't get to do, because the plane would be in pieces needing repairs from the last lesson.

If you pitched in and help fix it, maybe you'd get to fly that day. And power, two up you barely had enough anyway , and often had to wait until the day cooled off a bit, to get a reasonable and safe climbout. Power failures and emerg landings....wasn't if, but when.

Guest Brett Campany

I consider myself very lucky to be able to learn to fly in a Sportcruiser. Aircraft these days are getting better and better but I'll never forget the lessons my grandfather gave me in a Thruster T500.