"Memory Lane" - Images

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

Any time about now somebody is going to come up with “great – but how about images so we can see what you are describingâ€!

Fair enough. I have pics of all of them. But most of them are slides or hard copies. There will be well over a hundred of them (I have flown rather a lot) and that is going to take a lot of time to scan and process – time that I do not have right now.

I may make this a longer term project and, with Ian’s consent, get a dedicated gliding section going in the Gallery with cross links to the articles.

But do not hold your breath.

Aye

Tony

Hi Tony,

I notice you possibly did not get to fly one of the most recognisable gliders in the world, though it might come in the next installment of 'down memory lane'.

The aircraft is of course the baby brother of the Moazagotl - namely the Minimoa.

This specimen is owned by the Schempp-Hirth factory to add to their own 'museum pieces' such as the V tailed Open Cirrus, and access to a G ővier and G ő3.

For those that are unaware of the origins of the name - G ő - G ő1 (Wolf), G ő2, G ő3, G ő4

stems from the factory of Wolf Hirth which was located in a town in southern Germany called Gőppingen. When Wolf Hirth met up with Martin Schempp, they moved the factory to the current location in Kirchheim/Teck.

During the war, they were forbidden to produce aircraft and they ended up making weaving looms and prosthetics in order to keep their workforce employed.

Wolf Hirth ended up becoming the Mayor of Kirchheim/Teck and due to his living and working on aircraft in the US prior to the war, was able to strike up favourable terms (foods, trade etc) for Kirchheim/Teck with the yanks.

Minimoa.jpg.edea909a127082563abc9d4fad0302b7.jpg

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi L/D - thanks for all those interesting bits of history.

Yup - I will get to the Minimoa. I did not just fly one I also owned it (one of the more sensible things I did in life). I will cover her when I get to the Gulls, Kites, Rhonbussard etc.

Broadly, 'Memory Lane' is dealing with two seaters first and then will tackle the single seaters in a similar manner. But there are still a lot of two seaters to go before we get there.

T.