Difference between PPL BAK & RAAus BAK

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

hey guys, I'm struggling here with the BAK study. I'm studying for the PPL BAK as recommended by my instructor but I really can't get my head around some of the study and the subjects. I've never been one who's good at study or theory exams.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two BAK exams? I was told that the RAAus BAK is harder than the PPL BAK.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Brett Campany

Using the Aviation Theory Centre BAK (the red book) which isn't making much sense at all.

I just spoke to my instructor and he's told me that the RAAus BAK involves more loading than the PPL BAK.

I'm just having issues.....still.... with loading, pressure altitude and density, take off charts etc.

I think I'm just going to have to head down to Bunbury to do a few hours of theory with my instructor.

PPL BAK is just a bit more comprehensive than RAA. If you use the ATC books, then my suggestion is to do the RAA exam 1st - (no charges) - and then study your loading and performance section a bit harder - then do the PPL BAK.

Your flight school might also be prepared to run a short BAK class, which you can cost-share with another student, or 2, or 3. A good idea for bad wx days, because your instructor might be fairly busy on flying days.

happy days,

Guest Brett Campany
PPL BAK is just a bit more comprehensive than RAA. If you use the ATC books, then my suggestion is to do the RAA exam 1st - (no charges) - and then study your loading and performance section a bit harder - then do the PPL BAK.Your flight school might also be prepared to run a short BAK class, which you can cost-share with another student, or 2, or 3. A good idea for bad wx days, because your instructor might be fairly busy on flying days.

happy days,

Cheers Poteroo, going to hit up the school for some class room time. I'm finding some resources on Welcome to Recreational Aviation Australia and I'm just reading through those now. It's so fristrating, like I've got a total mental blank when it comes to determining pressure altitude, load charts, take off charts etc.

I'll get there eventually..... just need my brain cell to start kicking over!

the book was a bit confusing on those topics for me too, but a quick session with Glenn (CFI) cleared it all up, so definitely get your instructor to go over it with you. Easier to remember too if it's coming from the instructor and not just out of the book

Guest Brett Campany
hi all have a look at jim davis's ppl practical book about flying bunbury have it regards keith

Cheers Keith, will do that!

Guest pedrok

Mate

Pm me your address and I will loan you a copy of Bob Taits BAK book - it will help heaps. I will try mail it tomorrow.

Okay sounding dumb here, but if learning to fly RAA why do GA exams, the idea is that that you can fly within RAA regs and practices, so the little things like maintenance requirements , licence restrictions , Air Law, airspace approvals are different.

GA BAK, is so you can sit GFPT. With GFPT you can fly only within the training area, but must you will always get signed out before you can fly. Additionally its just a stepping stone to PPL.

I had a look at http://www.auf.asn.au/opsmanual/3-05.pdf which is RAA syllabus, it doesn't actually mention load charts for the theory exam. I suppose but don't know really :) that on the day of the flight test you would have to be able to work out the load sheet for the aircraft you are flying.

But I can send you Bob Taits book and it will all be easier - I found the ATC books great for testing myself prior to my PPl, but difficult for initially learning

Pete

Yep, I don't remember anything about calculating weight and balance in the Raaus BAK exam but was shown how to work it out by my instructor, witht the Jab it's as easy as being able to read the chart, and of course understanding why we need to consider these things...

Bob Tait is the go. I did my BAK back in the days of College of Knowledge. Bob explains things better than they did, that says heaps. funny though, BAK was more involved with calculating weight and balance more so than calculating from P-charts. Have to go back and see whats different.

Best way to work out density altitude is start with a diagram showing pressures, your aerodrome and temperatures. Temp has the biggest effect. [edit-I'll get my book out to be sure]...then the hard bit is calculating the altitude differences and then adding them in the correct sense to your field elevation. Of course, there is always the designated density altitude chart in the VFG.

Once you have your head around the diagram then the calculations are very straight forward. Just always remember if its hot you are going to be high.